Learning to live: the morning after the night before

My mouth felt dry an my head felt heavy when I woke up. I opened my eyes to see Johanna Annie an me squished in a double bed and Tammie daisy an Effie sprawled out in the bed next to us. I scanned the room for Melissa but could see no signs of her,The digital clock on the side read
12:30pm, I couldn't even remember what time we got in.
Annie sat up holding her head,
"What time is it?" She yawned.
"12:30" I answered.
"Wow my head hurts, haven't felt like this in a while" Annie giggled
"I don't think I've ever felt like this" I laughed back.
"Shh can you two shut up I'm nursing a hangover here" Johanna piped.
"Yeah well you should be used to it by now" I spoke even louder to wind her up.
"Children children" Effie chimed. "God I'm getting too old for this my head is aching"
"I think everyone's is" I told her.
"Mine definitely" daisy moaned. "Oh my god I think I'm going to be sick"
"Yeah well I'm paying for this room so you better make it to the toilet" Johanna shouted at daisy as she ran to the bathroom.
"I can hardly remember last night" I laughed, not speaking to anyone in particular.
"Me neither" Tammie laughed back, I didn't even know she was awake.
"I sure remember you two an mel dancing on the tables last night" Johanna laughed.
"Oh god" Tammie shoved her head in the pillow.
I just laughed. "Where is mel anyway?" I asked scanning the room, realising for a second time she
wasn't here.
"Where she usually is after a big drunken night" Johanna scoffed.
"Oh god who is he?" Annie asked.
"You don't remember?" Johanna laughed even more.
"Am I supposed to?" Annie asked confused.
"You introduced them! You knew him from 4?" She shook her head laughing.
Annie just stared blankly.
"Never mind, god I'm hungry lets get something to eat" Johanna got to her feet stretching. " anyone know where paylor is?" She asked confused.
Daisy came stumbling out the bathroom "she's in the bath tub"
"And I thought I was pissed last night" Johanna laughed
"God I feel sick" I told Johanna
"Last night was the most I've seen you drink" Johanna mocked.
"It was fun, I just don't think I will be making a habit of it" I joked.
"You say this now but you just wait for your wedding night on Saturday we will all be as pissed as last night an as hungover this morning"
Everybody nodded in agreement, except Annie. "Not me unless I can find a baby sitter at the wedding" she sighed.
"Me an haymitch will do it if you like?" Effie asked Annie.
"Really? Thank you" she gave that warm smile I loved so much about her. She has completely changed from the mad girl from district 4 who finnick was head over heels, completely in love with. I think Luca is the only thing keeping her going, when finnick died an she didn't know she was pregnant yet she was a complete mess. Nobody knew what to do with her. Then one day she came to mine an Johanna's room in the Capitol not crying but composed. I remember Johanna's face a mix between shock an fright, not knowing what she would do or say, an I remember the exact words Annie said to us,
"It's never going to hurt any less, you know the pain, the psychical pain of loosing him. But I know I can't carry on my life being sad an dismissive an mad" that's when she started crying then laughing. "Katniss his death was not your fault so stop thinking that, he's probably turning in his grave right now with how we've a been acting" she paused to smile, maybe thinking of his charm or sense of humour, before carrying on. "We'll that's stoping from now on. It's okay to have down days, everybody has them, but I can't be down everyday. Not anymore" I remember the look she gave us straightening her back an sniffing the snot back up her nose. "I'm pregnant" two words that's all she said an me an Johanna understood what she meant. Annie meant she had to be strong, we all had to be for the sake of her an finnick's child who's name she could not even say. An me an Johanna agreed to help her no matter what.
"Let's order breakfast" paylor came trodding out of the bathroom, her hair sticking up at all angles an make up smeared all over her face, you wouldn't think she was the president of panem.
"How you doing pay?" Johanna smirked.
Paylor just kept her head down an put her middle finger up.
And for the first morning in a year I didn't have to play my tedious, repetitive game in my head.