a drastic twist

"Shot through the heart
And you're to blame
Darlin'
You give love a bad name
An angel's smile is what you sell
You promise me heaven, then put me through Hell."

Harry’s POV

I knew without even seeing Eleanor's face that something is wrong. Even before she got home. It was just a feeling that hit me in the stomach out of nowhere basically. I was at the office gathering my things to finally end my day and come home.

I try not to be panicky, ignoring the strong urge to call Eleanor and ask if everything was alright. I believe that if something was wrong she would reach out to me without hesitation. I have to trust that Eleanor would tell me.

Now that she's home my mind is starting to change about that. Eleanor didn't say much since getting out of the car but only heads straight for my study. That she picked an odd place to talk to me is alarming. Eleanor means business. Maybe something happened in her family. I hope that wasn't the case either.

"Can I get you something to drink?" I ask her as she sits herself down on the couch.

"No thanks," Eleanor smiles softly, patting the space next to her. I politely declined her offer with a small shake of my head. Whatever she was about to throw at me, I want to be prepared. 

"Why did you want to come in here, Elle?" I ask, carefully watching her facial expressions. There is sadness behind Elle's eyes even though there is a smile on her lips. I know something really has to be up. My stomach drops in anticipation because somehow I know that whatever she has to say to me it wasn't going to be good.

"I had an insightful hangout with my best friends and realized something, Harry," she starts off slowly.

"I need to spend some time away...alone."

"Why?" I automatically ask. I hold off the feelings of panic that is really going to set in. The concept of Eleanor not being here is something I never want to think about. Yet she is right here asking for just that.

"I need to process all these feelings and emotions Harry; ever since we've gotten married I've just been with you. I haven't been by myself at all." Eleanor explains, softly hugging herself and I stepped closer but she only takes a step back.

"I don't understand Eleanor? Where is this coming from? I thought you were happy that we were together, isn't this what you wanted?" I hear myself ask, hoping she could explain.

"I know this is sudden, trust me I totally get it Harry. It also doesn't have to do with me being happy or not. If I wasn't happy I'd be having a different conversation with you right now. I just feel like everything happened so fast. Reality is catching up with me and I see a lot of things that make me stop to wonder."

"Wonder if you genuinely love me or not?" I ask aloud in fear I didn't know I had till now.

What if it wasn't me leaving Eleanor like I thought? What if she was the one that was going to pull the plug on everything? It's not that I so badly wanted to be the one to do it. It is just that I assumed Eleanor's infatuation towards me was stronger than mine. I believed Eleanor would never ever want to leave my side, but it seems I was completely wrong. I should have never assumed I had Eleanor so tightly under my arm.