Heads or Tails

Flashback to Ninth Grade

"You're an idiot" Lauren huffed with a smile as she watched Camila dance passionately in her bedroom to Destiny's Child music.

"Your idiot though babe" Camila winked, laughing. Camila turned the music off, hopping onto her bed next to Lauren. Lauren took Camila's hand and started to hold it, then stopped. They sat in comfortable silence for a moment until one of them spoke. This had been going on for quite some time now, but neither of them had talked about their feelings.

"Lauren.." Camila started, but before she could continue Lauren placed a hand on Camila's face, focused on her lips. About to kiss her, she paused.

"I know we're more than friends." Lauren said, taking her hand away. "Goodnight Camila."

"No wait, don't go to sleep yet" Camila nudged her. "If we are more than friends... what now?"

Lauren paused, looking into Camila's soft brown eyes, then her lips, then back to her eyes.

"Kiss me" Camila demanded, not wanting to wait any longer.

Lauren smiled, but it quickly faded. She took a deep, heavy breath as she let a feeling of sadness sweep over her.

"Lauren, kiss me!" Camila repeated, wanting Lauren's lips against her own more than anything. Lauren's voice cracked as if she were about to cry.

"I can't." It came in a bit of a whisper, since she was trying to remain strong. Lauren was only fifteen... she wasn't ready to do this. No matter how much she wanted to, she cared too much about what people thought.

"Of course you can, kiss me!" Camila said again, losing her patience. She knew deep down she deserved better than to be begging for a simple kiss, but she didn't care. She wanted Lauren and no one else - she had an unshakable feeling that Lauren was her one. The one person she was meant to be with... she couldn't fight it any longer. It didn't matter that they were young. It didn't matter that they were two girls. It didn't matter. If you have that feeling for someone... that feeling doesn't go away do to complications or what is supposed to be. No. That feeling that burned Camila's soul with fire and passion sat inside her, demanding an action. Because every time that Lauren smiled, or every time she laughed Camila couldn't do anything but stare. She stared and could only think about how much she cared for her, how much she was attracted to Lauren. She would think about how it didn't matter if Lauren was hers, as long as she was happy. Seeing Lauren smile was the best thing in the entire world... knowing she was happy. But the only thing better than just her smile, was when she smiled at Camila. The two girls sat there in that bed, face to face. Closer than friends get, because neither of them wanted to be friends. The reason that they weren't indulging in a kiss is because the dreadful feeling of fear.

"I.." Lauren looked desperately into Camila's soft, deep brown eyes. Camila exchanged the same longing, romantic look into the emerald ones. "Camila."

"Lauren just kiss me, dammit! Kiss me! How many times will I have to say it before you just freaking kiss me?" Camila hated this. Lauren didn't say anything. "Okay, fine." Camila reached over to her night stand which had a quarter on it. "I'll flip this. Tales you kiss me, heads you don't." And with her desperation and frustration combined, she flipped the coin right there in the bed. Tales. The girls looked down at the coin, then back into a longing stare. Camila with a tear running down her cheek, took the act into her own hands, placing a hand on Lauren's chin, guiding her lips towards her own. Before the two of them knew it, they were sharing their first kiss. Camila felt and tasted Lauren, and she could feel her heart racing faster than it ever had before.

End of Flashback

As Camila and Lauren stood there, dancing together on the beach, Camila snapped out of her flashback she had of their first kiss. She wished she could forget it, but she knew she never would. Deep down it was her favorite memory, which was why she hated herself so much. As they slow danced together, Camila did something she was unsure of... but she liked to live her life being sorry rather than safe. She didn't want any 'what ifs' in her life. She reached in her pocket, pulling out a shiny quarter. Lauren smiled in slight confusion, but was in a daze.

"Tales you kiss me, heads you don't." Camila breathed. Lauren knew immediately what Camila was referring to, and couldn't help but smile uncontrollably. Camila flipped the coin, and luckily it landed on tales once again. Without a second of hesitation, Lauren took charge, and kissed Camila. It wasn't a peck, it was a passionate, and long kiss. And they could taste the flavor they had both longed for for so long.