Roan Black - Twenty-six

Chapter Twenty-six

Roan had just pulled his wrist away when Drake and Tessa burst through the opening of the cave. Their eyes were wild as they looked around, but both stopped when their eyes landed on a motionless Raven. "Is he.." Tessa broke off when she turned her attention to her older brother, tears filling her eyes instantly when she saw blood soaking Audrey's mouth, neck and chest. "No.. No, no." Tessa ran forward, but didn't touch Audrey. She looked to Roan's grim face, then to Drake who came to stand beside her.

"She's alive.." Drake said gently, assuring his sister and himself. "Her heart is still beating, but barely." Drake reached over, grasping Roan's shoulder. When his brother finally acknowledged him, he spoke, "Roan we have to move her back to the cabin. The truck's outside." Drake watched the person he always looked up to, respected, and admired. Roan looked near to cracking, his eyes haunted by what Drake wasn't sure, but he wouldn't let Audrey die. "Let's move."

Roan nodded, numbly. He picked Audrey's limp body up, afraid that at any moment her heart would stop. He struggled, but as he walked to the truck he pushed his fears aside, he needed to concentrate on Audrey and he needed to be strong for once she woke up. Roan slipped into the back seat of the truck, holding Audrey closer to him with ease. He ignored his sisters worried gaze and continued to look down at Audrey, running his thumb over her pale cheek. "You'll make it through this, you'll survive."

Once back at the cabin, Roan moved Audrey into his room, placing her in his bed gently. He then sat down, unwilling to leave her.

*

*

"He hasn't left her side in days Drake! He's going to starve himself if he continues with this." Tessa ranted, worried for her brother's health. "I'm sure the last thing Audrey needs is Roan's stench filling the room." She mumbled crossing her arms.

Drake laughed at his sisters wording, "Tessa you would do the same if it were your mate laying there. You are right though, it's about time that he leaves the room and feeds, eats and gets a much needed shower." Drake stood, stretching out his stiff muscles, then walks to Roan's bedroom door and opens it without knocking. He took in his brother's slumped form. He looked exactly the same as the last time Drake had checked on him. "Roan, you need to come out of here and feed. A shower wouldn't be amiss either." Drake scrunched his nose. Tessa had been right, Roan was starting to stink the room up.

"I can't leave her Drake. When she wakes up, I need to be here." Roan said, not even bothering to look at Drake as he spoke.

"You're being stubborn and as good as it is to hear your voice after two day's, you still need to shower. Not just for your own, but for Audrey. I doubt she would appreciate waking to your smell..."

Roan frowned, he hadn't realized he stunk, but then after tracking Drake all that time and then- shaking the thought away he stood, nearly falling over had it not been for Drake's quick reaction.

"Careful there, you haven't moved in a while and you must be awfully stiff." Drake said, looking over his brother.

Roan moved slowly out of his brother's grasp and nodded. "I'm alright now, but-" He looked back to Audrey.

"I'll stay with her while you take care of yourself. Make sure you eat and feed before returning or else Tessa will tear into you." Drake warned, pushing Roan from the room.

It didn't take long before Tessa entered. "Finally, he's in the shower." She looked to Audreys motionless body and felt sadness overtake her.
"It is so strange to see how one person can completely change another. ROAN was such a hard add after Lily- he wasn't a mess like the rest of us, but now..."

"He was a mess. He just wouldn't allow us to see it. He felt that he needed to be strong for us all and therefore turned his emotions off. He became distant and concentrated in finding the man responsible..."

Tessa frowned, "but he was never found..."

"No, not yet. One day, we will find him and end him." Drake promised, moving to Roan's seat.