Roan Black - Two

Chapter Two

Audrey had a hell of time dusting and airing out the cabin. It had been years since anyone had visited the place, but she didn't mind. It gave her something to do and took her mind off of the distressing thoughts that plagued her. After several hours, she was satisfied enough to start bringing her things in. Completely oblivious to her neighbors.

*

*

Roan groaned, wiping the sleep from his eyes. They'd taken a late flight into the states and it had paralyzed Roan for a good day. He was tired, thirsty and knew he needed to get something to eat or else he would continue to feel like shit. "So, you're finally awake." He heard his brother, Drake say, amusement lacing his voice.

"Shut up. How are you not dead on your feet?" Roan voice was still groggy and slightly husky with sleep. He sat up, rubbing his hand over his bare chest as he swung his feet to the side of the bed.

"I'm younger?" Drake had said it so matter-of-factly that Roan nearly laughed. "Besides, I had drunk more blood before we flew out. Perhaps that's what's helped me along?"

Roan nodded, "most likely." Roan's senses slowly came back to him and he realized the ringing he had heard in his ears was the sound of music. "What is that noise?" He looked at his brother, waiting for the answer. His brother smiled slowly.

"That my brother is our new neighbor." Drake sat back in the chair, grinning like a fool. He had gotten a peek at the new neighbor and knew that when he got the chance he would introduce himself to her properly.

Roan frowned, he hadn't realized they would get new neighbors. Most if not all of the nearby cabin's were empty and didn't appear to have been lived in for years. "When did he get here?" He was curious as to how long he'd been asleep. It was now daylight outside and Roan was sure they'd arrived just before dawn.

"You've been asleep for an entire day brother, it's now Friday." Drake let that sink in before he continued, "and our neighbor isn't a he, but she. She arrived this afternoon. She's been unpacking from what I could tell. I imagine she's moving in."

Roan snapped his gaze to the window when he heard the slam of a door, standing he walked to the window that faced the direction of the cabin. He was slightly disappointed when he didn't see the woman but shrugged the disappointment away. "Have you spoken to her yet?" Roan had finally woke completely and the normal hardness of his voice returned along with his stiff attitude.

"No, but I've seen her and I plan to meet her soon." Drake watched his brother's back stiffen.

"Stay away from her Drake. We aren't here to mess with the human's." Roan voice held no room for argument. He turned away from the window and walked gracefully out of the bedroom and into the living room where all his files laid. He picked up the one who he had been obsessing over for the past fifty some years and frowned. This rogue had slipped through his fingers several times and it infuriated him.

"Roan, shouldn't we at least say hi? I mean, she's going to figure out that she has neighbors and then she may come here. Do you really want her coming here with all our stuff out?" Drake motioned to the numerous files laying around.

Roan scowled at his brother, he knew what Drake was trying to do and damn it if he wasn't at least right. "Fine. We'll meet her, but not right now. We've got work to do and I don't need," he paused for a moment realizing he never considered the woman's age. "How old is she? Young, old?"

Drake controlled the smile he felt forming, "young. At least in her twenties."

Roan's hand rubbed his temples. Just what they needed. A horny female. "We don't need her becoming nosy. If I have to, I'll make sure she stays out of our way while we do our job."

Drake watched his brother closely. Roan had always been uptight, he was the head of their family so he assumed it came with the responsibility, but Drake felt something was special about their new neighbor he just wasn't sure what. "Very well Roan."