Roan Black - Five

Chapter Five

Audrey wasn't sure what it was that had her putting on a bit of mascara or the layer of lip gloss. She decided that the reason she suddenly felt like doing it is that her hormones were going crazy for the intimidating, mysterious, and sexy neighbor about to give her a ride. Satisfied that she looked decent, she ran her fingers through her hair one last time, which she usually did when nervous and left her bathroom. She walked down the stair's, looked at the clock and smiled. She'd been out of the shower and dressed in fifteen minutes, a world record since she loved her hot showers. Audrey grabbed her wallet, slipped it into her back pocket and left the cabin. She'd have to see about some extra necessities while she was in town and the overloading list made her realize she should have written it all down.

Walking next door, Audrey wasn't sure if she should knock or if she should just wait. Debating quickly, she decided to get her unreasonable fear under control and raised her hand to knock only to have the door open seconds before she went through with the action. Her eyes widened when she came face to chest with Drake. "Here for Roan, sure you are, let me go get him." Audrey wondered as she watched Drake's retreating back if he always answered his own questions.

Audrey sighed, turning to look over the wooded green's. It was beautiful up here and it had reminded her why she had loved it so much when her parents and she would come out to stay for the summer. Audrey smiled, remembering the fond memories when she suddenly froze, her eyes finding a dark shape that looked like a man. She frowned, her eyes squinting so she could try to see better. She wondered if she was seeing things and was about to call out when a hand suddenly clamped down on her shoulder, causing her to scream and whirl around.

Roan wasn't sure if he was happy or, admittedly nervous about his ride into town with Aubrey. He wanted her to like him, after all, she was his life mate.

Yes in the time he'd spent in his room, he had admitted that the only possible explanation for his sudden and hard attraction the human was that she was his life mate. His body, mind, and soul agreed with the match, but he wasn't sure of his own abilities to woo her. It had been so long since he'd had too, but he hoped it was like riding a bike. He stood watching her for a moment before he decided to make himself known, instead of her turning suddenly and catching him staring.

His eyes widened when she screamed, stiffening beneath his hand. He frowned hard when he saw the fear in her eyes. What had made her so afraid? The question seemed to enter Roan's mind continuously, but he wasn't nearly close to having an answer. Roan heard Drake's footsteps behind him, sure that Drake had heard Audrey's scream.

"Are you okay?" Roan asked, looking around slightly. When he found nothing, he looked back down at Aubrey.

Audrey felt like a complete idiot and damn if she hadn't just embarrassed herself. "I'm sorry, yes.." Audrey turned and looked back to where she'd thought she saw a man, frowning when the shadow was no longer there. She tried not to think any more of it and was suddenly aware that Roan's hand was still placed on her shoulder and his thumb was moving in circles slowly along her skin. The action suddenly had her body heating and reacting as if he was doing so much more. It was overwhelming with its suddenness that Audrey pulled away, refusing to look into either of the men's eyes. "I thought I saw something and I was concentrating so hard I hadn't heard you walk up."

Roan let his hand drop, trying not to let the disappointment show. He had enjoyed the feel of her skin but knew that she may not understand. Roan cleared his throat and looked around once again. He didn't see anything out of the ordinary and then looked to Drake. His brother was staring at Audrey's bowed head and Roan instantly knew what his brother was doing, Roan was even more surprised when he felt a sudden protectiveness and possessiveness that he blocked Drake's view, cutting off the ability to get into her head.

Drake ignored the interesting actions of his brother as he moved his eyes over the surrounding woods edge. He had plucked the thought and the image fro Audrey's mind and she hadn't been mistaken. She had seen someone. Someone dangerous. Drake looked to Roan, "you forgot your key's. Better get them or else you won't be able to go anywhere." Drake said pointedly, moving back into the house.

Roan caught on to what Drake was doing the moment he told the lie. Drake knew he had gotten his key's because Drake was the one who had handed them too him. "I'll be quick," Roan assure Audrey before disappearing back into the house. "What?"

Drake's face hardened. "I'll ignore the fact that it's interesting that you cut me off from reading her further because we have something more interesting to think about." Drake paused for a moment, grabbing the top file off the table. "Audrey saw someone at the edge of the woods. It's why she jumped and screamed when you touched her. She thinks she must have been mistaken and that it was just her own paranoia."

Roan frowned, her own paranoia? It added to the millions of questions that he already had. He would find out all the answers eventually. "Okay, so did she really see someone or was it just her imagination?"

Drake nodded grimly. "Oh yes, she saw someone.." Drake held up the file that had caused his brother to lose sleep, even weight as Roan tried his best to track down this sicko. He knew that something was going on with his brother when it came to Audrey, he just wasn't sure yet if it was because she had interested him or if it was on a deeper level, either way, it didn't matter. The human female had to be watched and closely or else she could possibly end up like all the rest. "She saw him..."