Chapter two (Rose)

Rose was up early as she usually was, cleaning and making sure the house was in tip top shape. Her hands moved a rag in a circular motion on a large clear window. She listened as Jasper, the middle child of the Kramer family, played the piano. The beautiful music was interrupted when the abrupt ring of the service bell rang, coming from Benjamin Kramer's study. Rose put her rag back in the soap bucket. Jasper had stopped playing. "Yikes....the big man's callin' ya...." she winced. Rose nodded. "Good luck my friend."
"Oh, Miss Jasper, Im sure he wants nothing more than a glass of water or perhaps some food." She joked. Jasper grinned.
"Or maybe you messed up and he's gonna yell!"
"I highly doubt that." The bell rang again. "But he just might if I keep him waiting." She quickly walked down the hall, listening as Jasper's playing started up again.
The shy maid poked her head into the study. "How can I be of assistance, Master Kramer?"
"Rose, will you fetch me my oldest please?"
"Of course, sir."
"Thank you." The old man smiled. Rose dipped her head politely and turned back into the hall. She knew that by his oldest, Benjamin meant Louis, his oldest child. Also known as the man she'd been in love with for two years. She took a deep breath and and trotted down the hall to Loui's bedroom.
'Relax Rose......just speak.....just......speak....' She thought to herself before knocking on the door. Only a few seconds later it opened and the tall, handsome son of Benjamin stood in the doorway, towering over Rose. She looked up at him.
"Ah, hello rose....good morning how are you?" Louis had always been a little strange but than again, so was his family. Rose, for a split second, was too nervous to speak.
"Master Louis, your father requested that he see you in his study. I apologize if I was intruding...."
"Oh? Did he say what for?" He leaned on the door way.
"I'm afraid not....." she winced slightly at her own words, afraid of seeing him disappointed.
"I'll just have to see then! Thank you, Rose!"
"Of course, Master Louis." She nodded and started walking down the hall again, her nervousness fading. She made her way back to the music room.
Jasper was still playing. Rose picked up her soap bucket and continued washing windows. "How'd it go?" Jasper asked.
"It went fine. He didn't yell at me." She teased.
"That's good. What did he want anyway?" She stopped playing and crossed her arms.
"He just wanted to see your brother for whatever reason." Jasper smirked. Both of The Gem Sisters knew about Rose's feelings for their beloved brother, but were kind enough and respected Rose enough not to tell him. Before Jasper could make a snarky comment, another service bell rang. It was the library.
"That must be Topaz." Rose nodded and put her rag away yet again, walking out of the room and down the hall, the piano music following up with an anchor.
As she walked down the hall silently, she heard voices coming from the study. She leaned on the wall, hoping to heard Loui's voice, masculine and soothing. Instead she heard something that made her heart hurt and her eyes tear up. 'HES GETTING MARRIED?!' She backed away from the door and trotted down the hall, her hands over her mouth. She needed to talk to someone. Topaz would understand. She continued her walk to the library.