Chapter twenty-four (Rose)

Rose was huge. No I don't think you understand the gravity of the situation she was 9 months pregnant huge. Her stomach made the front of her dress hang in front of her.
After a long a cold winter, there she sat. Under a tree with Jasper and Penelope. She watched as they spoke to each other and kissed occasionally. She loved seeing them so happy, not caring that their love was unconventional and a little absurd for that time period. The grass felt cool on her legs and a light breeze of spring blew threw her hair. She gently pet her stomach; a habit she'd gotten used to doing. Jasper looked at her. "How's my favorite mother to he doing?" She asked.
"I'm very good thank you....." Rose replied. Even though it was spring and the revolution was almost ending, even though the sun felt nice on her skin and she'd be giving birth very soon, she was still worried about the man she loved. Loui. He was out there somewhere, possibly dead. Her hands grasped her dress at the thought of their baby growing up without a father.
"What's wrong?" Jasper noticed her unease. Penelope clung to her.
"It's fine I just.....I miss him...." Rose answered with a sigh.
"I miss him too! And Topaz. Wherever the hell she went....I hope they aren't dead....."
"Me too....I want him to know his child...." she pet her stomach. Jasper put her hand on hers
"Loui's a tough lad, it takes a lot to harm him. He's probably just fine....."
"You think so....?"
"I know so......" Rose smiled, but it soon faded when she felt something wet leaking between her legs. Her eyes widened. Her water had broken. The baby was coming.
"J-jasper!" She gasped when she felt a sharp pain.
"What?! Are you ok?!"
"It's coming!" She panted in and out.
"THE WHO WHAT NOW?!" Jasper stood. Penelope squeaked and rolled out of her lap.
"THE BABY IS COMING!" Rose squealed. Jasper started to panic.
"Holy shit holy shit holy shit....." she looked at her lover. "Penelope go get a doctor!" The shorter woman nodded and darted off. Rose felt a tremendous pressure on her stomach and uterus.
"Jasper I'm scared!" Jasper kneeled by her and took her hands.
"Just try to brea-" she was cut off by a loud wail.
"OH GOD IT HURTS!" She winced and tried to control her breathing. Jasper slowly laid her down in the grass. She tried and tried to calm down but nothing worked. Her eyes stared at the leaves of the oak tree above her. Sun light filtered through them and hit her face and body. It was so warm and conforming but the pain in her abdomen disturbed the peace. A loud scream escaped her lips again.
Pretty soon Penelope came back with a doctor. They both kneeled by Rose. "Miss everything is going to be alright." The doctor said, putting a blanket on the grass for when the baby came out. "You're doing good just keep breathing...." he put his hands up her skirt and removed her undergarments. Rose did not protest. She knew it had to be done. She just hoped she wouldn't need to be cut open. The doctor examined her. "It's going to hurt. Here's a rag." He placed a wadded up piece of fabric between her jaws for her to bite down on. She looked up at the oak leaves and pushed when the doctor instructed her to, biting down on the rag.
Push push push. It seemed to take forever. Pain splintered through her body as she stretched to fit the size of her baby. Her hands pulled up grass from the ground. Her screams on pain were soon swallowed by the soft cries of a baby. The pain soon faded and Rose focused herself on the cries of her child. Jasper and Penelope sighed with relief to see that it was born healthily. After cutting the cord, the doctor gave the baby to its mother. Rose sat up and swaddled it in her arms.
It was a baby boy. His skin was soft and a bit pink and his blonde, wispy hair was damp. His mouth hung open as he cried and curled up into a fetal position. Rose's eyes teared up. "He's beautiful.......He looks just like his father......"
"He's like a mini Loui!" Jasper laughed a bit. She pet her son's cheek and he stopped crying after a few minutes. "What are you going to name him?"
"........William....." Her lips curled into a smile as the baby wrapped his chubby finger she around her index finger. "My little William......."