Chapter twenty nine

Everyone in the sitting room stood and rushed out of the room at the sound. They went down the hall to see the door wide open and Jacques leaning against the wall, wide eyed. He pointed to the door. Topaz took off her hat.
     In the doorway stood and man. He wore no shirt and an army uniform. He was six foot five inches tall and American with every once of his heart. Around his stomach was a bandage, red with blood. Dried blood was plastered coming out of his mouth and dribbling down his chest. He looked up at everyone with faded brown eyes. His lips parted. "I lived bitches......." Jasper fainted. Topaz screamed and yelled. Jacques ran to catch the man when he stumbled and fell. Rose started crying again. Loui's death was falsely pronounced.
     Jacques carried him into the sitting room and sat him on the couch. Rose ran over to him. "LOUI! OH GOD!"
"Hey Rosie.....long time no see....." he weakly poked her nose, his attention going to the small child in her arms. A wide grin spread across his face.
"HOW THE FUCK?!" Jacques and Topaz questioned simultaneously.
"Beats me.......God must be on my side......" he tried to sit up but grunted in pain. His wound hadn't healed and he was just hanging on. It took all the strength he had to reach the house. Violet ripped off a huge chunk of her skirt to used as a replacement bandage.
"Everyone move....." the blacksmith uttered as he stepped through the small crowd. Topaz had never heard a German person before so she seemed intrigued. He kneeled by Loui and removed his other bandage. "Violet I need water."
"Gotcha." She hurried out of the room. Rose held her love's hand while his wound was dressed.
      After Loui was alright thanks to the blacksmith and Violet, it was the time for explanation. Everyone stayed gathered around but more spaciously this time. "You see....I was sleeping....." Loui said. "My breathing must have been so slow that they guessed me dead...."
"How did you get here?" Rose asked.
"A nice family offered to give me a new bandage and drive me to Boston......bless their hearts....."
"It's like my father used to say......" Jacques began. "Dying is easy, and living is much harder. Only the strongest of the strong have the strength to live and my god Loui you're Hercules." Loui chuckled.
"But you're the strongest. Remember?" He teased, referencing a couple days ago when the battle of Yorktown had just begun. "God you guys are both a mess......"
"You're one to talk." Topaz quipped. William babbled in his mother's arms.
"What's his name?" Asked Loui.
"I named him William......he looks just like you, my love......"
"He does........our little soldier......"