Chapter four (Rose)

All Rose could feel, think, hear, or see, was the soft hands of Topaz on her back, the choked noises of her sobs, and the awful fact that Louis was getting married. She hated showing weakness in front of her superiors, but this time she couldn't help it. "There there...." The soft voice of the youngest Gem Sister could be heard behind her.
     Unlike her siblings, Topaz was only almost an adult. She was seventeen "and three quarters," as she liked to add. Standing at only four feet and eleven inches, Topaz was tired of being referred to as cute, so she resorted in learning how to fight and how to use weapons. And the fact that she snuck out to rebel meetings every night, a fact that only Rose knew, caused her to think she would hop right into the war herself.
"I-I'm sorry...." Rose hiccuped.
"Don't be sorry dear......" She smiled comfortingly. "You're heartbroken. It's quite alright to cry....."
"I-I just feel like I'm bothering you b-but I have no one else to turn to....."
"The hell you're bothering me! I'm perfectly fine with comforting a friend when she needs it!" Topaz retorted. The Kramers were of Scottish descent so there was a slight twinge to their voices. Each one of them thought of themselves as an American citizen though, and were hoping for a change.
"Thank you, Miss Topaz...."
"Call me Topie, love...." Rose nodded and wiped her eyes, starting to calm down. She took a deep breath and exhaled.
"I guess I just have to tough through this...."
"That's what I'd do! I'm a soldier at heart! Or so I've been told."
"Will you teach me how to be a soldier too?"
"Of course! All you have to do is just tell yourself that nothing can be worse than dying in dishonor." Rose had completely stopped crying now.
"I'm afraid you're not exactly helping...."
"Yeah I get that a lot." Topaz closed the book on ancient Japan she was reading when she heard the door open slightly. Rose straightened up.
     Loui poked his head in through the door. "Am I interrupting?"
"Nope! Come on in!" Topaz answered, even though he was interrupting. Very briefly of course.
"Thanks.....I need moral support...."
"Oh? Why is that?"
"Well....father is forcing me to marry someone for her family's money...."
"Oh no....I thought Jasper would be the first he did that to....."
"Well it was me.....and I'm meeting the 'lucky lady,' as father puts it, tomorrow."
"You're gonna have to learn some manners before you make that happen!" Topaz laughed.      Loui wasn't exactly the most proper gentleman. He spoke with his mouth full, interrupted people (as to have witnessed), and his posture was an absolute disgrace.
"That's why I came down here, book for brains! You can teach me."
"Oh honey it'll be some work......" she began. "....but I'll try." Rose watched as the conversation unfolded. Seeing Loui hurt inside, so she looked away.
'You've got to forget him......' she thought, 'forget.....'