Chapter twenty-one (Topaz)

Topaz's stomach growled as she watched her brother wander off again. "You should eat something, mon ami." Jacques looked concerned.
"I'm fine! Promise!" She smiled reassuringly. "And by the way, the sick need our food more than I do."
"If you don't eat you'll get sick...."
"You smell that?"
"...smell what?"
"Smells like bullshit."
"Ok fine." He crossed his arms and laughed a little. "I can't argue with you." She felt her binder chafing her again.
'I really need to redo this thing.....' she thought, looking to the small patch of trees just beyond the camp. 'I won't get ambushed if I just go really quick.....' she stood. "I'll be right back."
"Where're you going?"
"Places. Don't worry I'll be fine." She said, and started to walk out of camp.
Once she was out of the camp and in the patch of trees and foliage she started undressing herself. She took off her jacket, then her shirt, then finally her binder, which was the only thing covering her chest now. She shook out the fabric of the binder and started to retie it when she heard someone clear their throat. "Hello Tobias. If that's even your real name." Topaz froze, staring at the ground, her arms around her chest. Jacques had followed her.
"....how much of that did you see, Jacques....."
"All of it." The Frenchman crossed his arms. "I followed you when I saw you went out of camp, and I got worried you'd do something stupid......" her stomach twisted, with hunger and with fear. She managed to look at him, not even bothering to lower her voice anymore.
"Listen.....if you tell anyone about this.....you're going to have a tough time....." he took a step towards her and she took a step back when he did.
"Toby.....I'm offended that you would think I'd ever tell anyone..." he smiled a tiny bit. "We're buddies! I can keep a secret for my buddy." She sighed with relief.
"Thank god...." she grabbed her shirt from the ground and slid it over her newly flattened chest. "Did you see my boobs?" Jacques face reddened.
"Yeah....sorry...."
"It's ok I forgive you..." she said, putting on her jacket.
"You know.....I'm never going to think of you the same way because of this....."
"You think because I'm a woman I can't fight for my country now.....don't you...."
"Of course not! I've seen you! You're more than capable of fighting for your land!"
"Then what do you mean....?"
"I mean this makes me think of you not like a scrappy, rebellious young man like I did before, but a strong and independent woman who isn't afraid to fight for what she believes in." He put his hand on her shoulder. She was at eye level with his chest. "That's really something special ,Toby......." Topaz's face blushed an adorable pink. She looked at the ground, not meeting his gaze. "Now...let's get back to camp....."
"Ok......" she started to leave the foliage patch.
"Hey...."
"Hmmm?" She turned and looked at him over her shoulder, but stared past him.
"What's your real name......I'm curious......"
".....It's Topaz.....don't tell Loui."

(eXpOsEd)