Chapter 8: Candlelit Night

The following day went by with you working non-stop on your project. The time in between classes was spent sketching on your new bought canvas. Marinette and Alya were worried about you, but you dismissed their worries, claiming that you were fine. Your left eye may have been twitching from the lack of sleep because of the project and the events of last night, but you were fine.

To cover the marks Chat made, you had applied makeup to your neck and even used a light scarf to hide it. You didn't care about it that much, but didn't want anyone bothering you. People could be annoyingly noisy sometimes, like the strange old lady at the metro some days ago that had asked if you drew hot naked women when she saw you carrying your sketchbook. You chuckled to yourself as you remembered the shocked faces of the other passengers when she said you were living the good life and winked at you. Paris' metro was surely a tourist attraction on its on.

So you wore the scarf and people didn't bother you.

Well, some people since you didn't have the same luck with the cat boy.

The same cat boy who suddenly decided to surprise you with a visit in the evening.

When he saw the scarf, his grin was so impossibly large that you wanted to throw something at him. Which you did.

He dodged the sofa cushion easily and laughed at you. "Désolé, ma chérie, désolé!" He said in between laughs. You readied yourself to throw another cushion at him, but then sighed, taking the scarf off. You didn't have time for this. The project was far from finished; you still had a lot to do.

So you sat back down on your chair and went back to your painting. You were now applying the basic colors, and the figures were taking form. Looking at the wet paint, you just hoped it turned out alright.

Chat laid down on the sofa next to you, his arms behind his head.

You glanced at him. He was looking at the ceiling as the warm evening light fell across his features and his dark mask, contouring them with beautiful shadows. You wondered why he was here. To keep an eye on you?

"Do you need something, ma belle?" He said, eyes still on the ceiling and a smile now on his lips.

Your heart sped up from hearing the pet name. Well, that was a new one. He was certainly improving his repertoire.

You quickly looked back to your painting as you tried to think of something to say and then blurted out, "How was your day?"

For a moment all you could hear was your rapidly beating heart and the sound of the brush spreading paint over the canvas. As the silence stretched on, you wanted to ask Chat if he was okay, but as you were going to, he spoke.

"Nothing much. I just defeated a gym themed villain today," he said, trying to sound nonchalant, but you noticed a bit of uncertainty in his voice.

You frowned at his odd behavior, but then a thought crossed your mind and your eyes widened a bit. Maybe he thought you wouldn't be interested in what he had to say? You looked at him from the corner of your eyes. He seemed to be waiting for your reaction, but it couldn't be... could it?

"Really?" You said and looked at him, hoping it'd encourage him to talk. "I bet you used those strong muscles of yours to do that," you teased with a smirk. You wanted to show him that you were interested in what he had to say, that it was important to you.

He turned his head in your direction and smirked back, flexing his biceps the best he could with his arms still behind his head. "Of course, ma belle."

You laughed and that seemed to do it. Chat's confidence was back like it was never gone in the first place, and he talked about his day with a smile on his face while you painted. You glanced at him and mirrored his smile. It was strange to see Chat vulnerable like that, even if for a brief moment. It clashed with the image of complete confidence that was so characteristic of him.