Chapter 34: Mist (Part 2)

You didn't expect Marinette to look so surprised when you mentioned her earrings.

"How come I haven't noticed them before?" Alya said, leaning to take a closer look. "They're beautiful."

You nodded. You had been meaning to compliment Mari about her earrings since you saw them at the fashion show, but only remembered about it now.

The Valentine Day's party was happening around you. Pink and red decorations filled the inside of the large boat's cabin and deck. Paper hearts hanged from the ceilings as well as little cupids.

Marinette took a step back from you both, laughing. "Merci, I bought them yesterday."

You felt a frown crease your forehead. Yesterday? But you had seen her use them at the fashion show, two weeks ago.

"Oh, they look like Ladybug's!" Alya exclaimed.

You took a better look at the earrings, and truly, they were really similar to Ladybug's. You remembered Marinette saying once that she had been a fan of the miraculous heroine as a teenager. Maybe she was still a fan now.

"Yeah," Mari laughed, scratching her neck and looking around. "Err, anyway, I need to go to the bathroom. Be right back!"

"C'mon," Alya put an arm around your shoulders. "Let's get something to drink while we wait."

Your eyes darted left, to the blonde guy near the door. No. Blue eyes. They then looked right, seeing another blonde near the flagpole. Too short.They spotted another one on the deck, but you pursed your lips when you saw his hair was dyed. Not him either.

Someone walked in and your eyes followed. Blonde hair, green eyes, same height. Your heart jumped in your chest, but it was just Adrien.

You ducked behind the drink counter. You had been successfully avoiding the model since you arrived at the party, half an hour later, and you didn't want to fail now.

"What are you doing?"

You looked up to see Alya staring at you with a raised brow, her drink in her hand.

You contemplated lying to her for a moment, but then sighed. "I can't let Adrien see me."

People passed near you, watching you with curious eyes. They were probably thinking you were already drunk.

"Alright," Alya stated, simply.

You heard Adrien's voice and held your breath. He asked Alya if she had seen you and she said you were probably downstairs, on the first floor of the boat.

After a few moments, she told you it was safe to get up and held out her free hand for you.

"Thanks a lot, Alya," You said as she pulled you up.

She waved a dismissive hand. "Everything to help a sister in need." She took a sip from her drink, eyeing you over the rim of her glass. "Now, why are you avoiding Adrien? Did he do something?"

"It's nothing serious, it's just..." You looked down, feeling completely stupid when thinking about your situation. "I can't be near him right now."

Alya was silent for a moment. "Is he still flirting with you like he did at the resto U?"

You rubbed your neck, letting out a sigh. "Yeah."

"You should have a talk with him," Alya said and took a sip from her drink. "Avoiding him will only make things worse."

"I'll do it." You looked away from her. Julien had also said that you should talk with Adrien. "I will, soon." You would deal with this situation, just not now. Today was about you and Chat.