Chapter 36: Ch. 9: The Persistence of Memory (Chat's/Adrien's POV)

Lewd meter: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

----

The balls of Adrien's feet almost didn't touch the ground as he strolled across the manor's long hallways. The morning sun rays entered through the windows and he felt like a ballet dancer, always on demi-pointe, so light that he was almost flying. And all that because of one single person. How was this possible? He had been alone for so long that his heart didn't seem used to all these feelings coursing through his body. If only he had met the artist five years ago, when he was lost and tried so desperately to find the remedy for his loneliness in strangers. Maybe then his father wouldn't have been able to akumatize him. Adrien closed his eyes for a brief moment, clearing his mind. He had to stop thinking about the 'what ifs'.

"That fence teacher of yours was right, you could've been a great ballet dancer." Plagg flew by his side, doing a pirouette in the air.

"I guess." Adrien chuckled, imagining the long hours he'd have to spend practicing. He wouldn't be able to be Chat Noir like that. "But I probably wouldn't have met her."

It took Plagg a few seconds to realize he was talking about the artist. The kwami then shrugged. "Who knows, maybe you two are meant to be and would've met anyway."

A spark of happiness ignited in Adrien's chest. "You think so?"

Plagg rolled his eyes as if he regretted saying his previous statement. "C'mon Romeo, let's get something to eat. I'm starving."

Steps echoed on the other side of the long corridor and Adrien gave the kwami a look. When Marie, his father's nurse, appeared around the corner a second later, Plagg was gone.

"Mr. Adrien, bonjour." The young woman gave him a faint smile as she approached. He had told her many times to just call him Adrien, but she didn't seem to be able to. At least she didn't call him Mr. Agreste.

"Bonjour, Marie." He slowed to a stop in front of her. She was shifting from one foot to the other, and Adrien had a bad feeling in his gut before she even opened her mouth to speak again.

"Your father, he..." She wriggled her hands together in front of her. "He found a photo."

The sound of cutlery hitting plates filled the dining room as Gabriel sat at the head of the table. He was so absorbed into the photo in his hands that he didn't notice Adrien and Marie standing at the entrance. The nurse touched his arm, and Adrien almost jumped.

"I tried to convince him to give it to me, but he refused," she whispered.

"Thank you, Marie. I'll take care of it," Adrien whispered back.

Marie nodded and gave a step back, standing outside the double doors, cell phone in hand, as if preparing herself for the worst.

Adrien took a deep breath and walked into the room.

"Father?" His voice echoed against the white walls, making him feel small and alone, like being in the manor always did.

His father looked up from the photo and blinked a few times. Adrien stopped breathing for a moment, but then his father said, "Oh, Adrien, bonjour! Look what I found."

Adrien inhaled deeply again to calm himself and kept walking. He was always waiting for the moment his father would forget about him too, but, fortunately, today didn't seem to be that day.

Adrien could hear his pulse in his ears as he walked to his father, eyeing the man with caution. Gabriel seemed stable, so maybe the photo hadn't triggered any memory. Yet.