Chapter 27: The First Kiss of the Sun (Part 1)

Chatter and the sound of clicking cameras got louder and louder as you walked to the entrance side by side with Marinette, trying your best not to draw attention to yourself. The last thing you wanted was for the reporters to realize you were there. But you knew it'd be almost impossible not to get spotted when you went through the golden gates of Versailles.

"This is crazy," you muttered to yourself as you shook your head in disbelief. You had gaped at Adrien for a whole minute when he had given you the ticket. He had just laughed at you in return and said he'd be waiting for you at the show.

To say you were nervous to participate in such a big event would be an understatement. You had managed to avoid the press since you came back from Barcelona, but you knew this place would be packed with reporters and paparazzi. And as the week had passed and Friday arrived, your anxiety had gotten worse. It was making your stomach hurt and your body stiff. But at the same time, you were excited to see the fashion show and Adrien's work as a model. Maybe you could finally meet his father, of whom you had heard so much about.

"I still can't believe the fashion show is in the freaking Palace of Versailles," you said, watching the golden details of the buildings shine under the moonlight. You had realized Adrien's family had a lot of money when you went to his house, but this was another level of wealth.

Marinette's shoulders shook as she laughed. "Most of Gabriel's shows are held at the Grand Palais, but this is a special occasion." You gave her a look. For someone to be able to make not only one, but many shows in the Grand Palais, that person had to be really damn important. "This is his first show after five years of absence from the fashion world."

"Oh, I didn't know. What happened?" You took a deep breath as you passed under Versailles' golden gate. The enormous front patio stretched out in front of you, full of people, reporters, even some curious passerby.

"Gabriel had some... health complications." Mari smiled. A slight frown creased your forehead. You had heard something like that before, but you couldn't remember where. Mari continued. "So his return is a big deal." She got closer to you and pointed to a less crowded part of the patio. "There are less people this way, c'mon."

You smiled as you followed her, grateful that Mari seemed to understand your unease. Thankfully, the paparazzi seemed more interested in the models and wealthy guests arriving in fancy sport cars and ignored you and Mari. It also helped that the brunette had a pass hanging around her neck, since she worked for Gabriel's company, so people assumed you were also part of the crew.

You looked around to the people arriving at the main entrance. They were dressed in fancy clothes that indicated their wealth and interest in fashion. You swallowed dry and looked down at your own attire for the night. You had put together a nice outfit with Mari's help, and although some people were dressed in an ostentatious way, you weren't feeling too out of place.

Distracted, you almost bumped into Mari when she stopped in her tracks.

"Julien!" She exclaimed and waved to a lone figure leaning on the base of a sculpture, a lit cigarette on his lips. Mari had told you Julien would probably be here as well, since he worked for a fashion magazine, but you didn't expect to see him so soon. You were just at the entrance after all.

"You ladies look lovely tonight." Julien bowed down a little as you got closer. He was wearing a blue tuxedo that went well with his blonde hair pushed back.

Mari scoffed, greeting him with a kiss on the cheek. "And you wonder why people think you're Chat Noir." He laughed and you pressed your lips tight, feeling exposed all of a sudden. Well, at least you hadn't been the only one to think that he was Chat.