Chapter 60: Agony in the Garden

A/N: The Muses have smiled upon me, my dears, and so I'm back with another chapter on the last day of this long, tiring year!

This chapter is a bit more on the angsty side, but it's necessary for the story to progress and some issues to be resolved. I hope you enjoy it! (っ˘ω˘ς )

----------

"Mom?"

"Of course it's me, who else could it be?" Your mom's voice shrieked through the phone.

You stared blankly at the wall for a moment before ending the call. Your phone began to ring almost instantly. You walked to a more secluded part of the studio, took a deep breath, and accepted the call again.

"Did you just hang up on me?" Your mom barked out, making you pull the phone away from your ear. "I shouldn't be shocked by your crude behavior anymore."

You gripped the phone tighter. You hadn't spoken with her for months and that's how she treated you?

"Hello to you too mom, how are you?" You said, your voice dripping with sarcasm. "Not that you even care how I am, right?"

"That goddamn depraved city has only made you worse. How dare you talk back to me?"

You sighed deeply, trying not to hang up again. "What do you want? Why didn't you take my calls when I called you some days ago?"

"I've seen the news," she said, completely ignoring your question.

You gritted your teeth. "Of course you saw it, you were part of it!"

"I only did that so you would snap out of it!" Your mom cried out. "You need to come home immediately. You're embarrassing our whole family."

"I'm already home. I'm not going back," you spat. Even if you had to go back, you wouldn't stay there. You'd find a way to get out. "And I don't need you to tell me how to live my life."

There was a moment of silence and you could almost see your mother's face contorting in anger. "You're so ungrateful. After everything we've done for you, that's how you talk to me? We're here working our asses off everyday and you are strolling around with your famous boyfriend."

You barked out a stunned laugh. "Is someone paying you to say all this? Like they paid you for the interview?"

"You can't get a real job and had to find someone to provide for you. You should be ashamed of yourself."

Anger flared inside you. "I'm paying for everything. I don't need anyone's help," you said through gritted teeth. "Just like I didn't need your help to come to Paris."

She laughed and the rage inside you grew stronger. You hated how she was able to manipulate your emotions so much. To make you feel so angry, yet so powerless.

"You're not only ungrateful but a liar," your mom said with a sick hint of amusement in her voice. "Your boyfriend even owns the building where you live."

You scowled. "What?"

"Did you really think you could afford that place?"

"What are you talking about? He doesn't own—"

"You're never going to amount to anything. Come back immediately and stop this nonsense."

"Wait—"

She hung up.

You stared at the phone for a long moment before leaning your back on the wall and closing your eyes. Your mother's words swirled inside your head, making distinct feelings bubble up and muddle together.