Chapter Sixteen - Five Course Meal

Chapter Sixteen

After Lord Drayven sat down, the first, of the five-course meal came out on silver covered platers. Hor d' oeuvres, Goat Cheese Risotto Balls with sherry dijon dipping sauce.

I tried it but after the first bite I was gulping down water to wash the taste out of my mouth.

Bree gave me an evil smirk while Sir Renfrey looked amused. Pepper looked like she was incredibly board.

Small talk between Lord Drayven, Lord Portrova and Duke Thiza lightened the mood. I didn't pay attention to what was being said since I was so nervous and uncomfortable at being gawked at by Bree Portrova.

The second course came, it was some kind of creamy potato and kale soup. Azereen beamed happily at me before she dipped a soup spoon into the creamy soup. I tasted it and it was delicious.

I nearly had eaten it all when the third course arrived. I picked at the Arugula Salad with roasted pears, red onion, goat cheese and honey vinaigrette. I ate a few of the pears but left everything else.

"So, will your father be attending the ball," Duke Thiza asked.

I don't know why but this peeked my interest. Maybe it was because I had never been to a ball.

"Yes," Lord Drayven answered nonchalantly.

"It will be nice to see the King again. I think the last time he and I talked was when Bree was born," Lord Portrova said and he leaned closer to his daughter and patted her back.

King? Lord Drayven's father was the King? Then that would make him and Azereen - I glanced between Lord Drayven and Azereen with confusion written all over my face. Lord Drayven eyed me before looking away, not giving away any emotion.

"I've always loved Royal Balls," Pepper piped in.

I couldn't help but think she held a double meaning when she said that. She had that golden sly expression.

As the fourth course appeared before me, I numbly began to eat the Bruschetta crusted Salmon with grilled asparagus.

"Have you picked out your dress yet, Princess," Duchess Thiza asked Azereen.

Azereen, with a bright smile, shook her head no, "No but I can't wait! This will be my first ball!" She was so excited. I could hear it in her voice and see it on her face. That made me smile at her. She was such a lovely little girl.

Then, like a slap in the face, the image of her attacking that woman at their old estate clawed across my memory and my smile fell. I quickly took a bite, hoping no one noticed.

"Lady Silverfall, how do you like staying in the castle so far?" Duchess Thiza asked me sweetly.

I forced a smile and looked into her kind eyes before answering, "I love it! It is truly an amazing architecture masterpiece."