Chapter Twenty-Four - A Beautiful Dance of Magic

Chapter Twenty Four

Dinner continued and I couldn't help but feel like a bug at the end of a microscope.

King Drayven would steal looks my way every few minutes. At first I thought maybe he was looking at Azereen. Maybe he was surprised by how much she had grown while she and her father were on sabbatical in the human realm.

That was until he locked eyes with me and smiled then lifted his goblet as if making a toast and taking a drink to subtly look somewhere else only after I would catch him glancing at me.

During the second time, others began to catch on and then, I had their occasional glances too. It all made my skin crawl.

I was itching to leave but we were only on the third course of a seven course meal. Why they change the amount for different occasions was beyond me. I was just ready to hide away in my room and away from all the eyes. Not even my own goblet of blood wine would help me ease through the rest of the evening.

Azereen, being the quick and smart girl she was, caught on fast and began to ask her daddy why grandpa kept looking my way.

My cheeks heated so much that it became uncomfortable. I wanted to dip my napkin in water then dab my cheeks but didn't dare. Not with so many eyes on me. The heat made my cheeks sting for some reason.

Lord Drayven whispered something to Azereen that I could not hear and when he finished she nodded her head happily and smiled at me as if she knew a secret.

By the time the fourth course came, I was full. So for the remainder of the evening I stared at my food and picked at it until the last course of desert, then I ate all of my kahlua - dark chocolate pave. Thankfully by then my cheeks were no longer burning and probably no longer beet red.

As everyone began to shuffle about, the announcer announced that the ball room would be open with a fully stocked bar.

I took that as my cue to take Azereen's hand and start for the exit so we could go to our rooms.

"Lady Silverfall, please join us," Lord Drayven says just as we were about to step through the door.

But of course I couldn't be that lucky to get out unnoticed. I noticed that the King was standing next to Lord Drayven in a way that looked like he had been whispering to him.

I lifted Azereen's hand in mine, "I was going to put Azereen to bed."

Azereen looked surprised before looking back to her father. I guess she didn't want to go to bed yet.

"Azereen can join us too," the King says before he opened his arms wide for Azereen, "I haven't seen my girl for four years."

Azereen ripped her hand out of mine and ran to her grandfather, the King, and jumped into his awaiting arms. He huged her and then placed her back on her feet.