Chapter nine

9. Baby

       The ride back home was silent yet comfortable. Dean was behind the wheel of his 'baby', as he called the black 1967 Chrevrolet Impala. Castiel had to agree that it was a nice car and it was quite amusing to see him actually talk to it. It was only when Dean got a call, that things changed.

       "Hey Bobby!- No, I'm not working any cases right now. - Well, Wendell's grandson is in the car as we speak- No, I'll drop them off first.- Bobby I'm not gonna let them get hurt. - Shut up. - Castiel is not coming, discussion over."

       Even though the man didn't really understand the topic, he was curious. He signalled that he wanted to come to Sam, since Dean was already doing two things at once. When Sam whispered if he was absolutely sure, he nodded frantically. Whether it was a smart idea or not, he did not know.

       Sam pulled the phone from Dean's grasp, startling Dean. It made him swerve the car to the left, cursing slightly when he got control of the wheel again.

       "Dude, what the hell?" He screamed, glancing at his brother quickly. Sam ignored him while putting the phone against his ear. Castiel was holding both front seats with his hands, his eyes wide.

       "Hi Bobby.- Yes, everything's fine. I just wanted to say that we're on our way. - He insists.- Yes, see you there, bye." Castiel saw Dean's surprisingly worried face when the green eyed man looked through the rearview of the car. It made him feel somewhat guilty, yet he shot him an apologic look.

       He looked away quickly, staring out of the window. He dozed off quickly, watching the trees as they drove. When he woke up again, he heard two voices, talking hushed, yet aggravated. He listened to the conversation, not opening his eyes.

       "I still can't believe you made him come. He doesn't even know what's out there and we can't just barge in and tell him that monsters are real. Hey, Cas. We hunt monsters for a living and you just agreed on getting yourself killed," Dean said angrily, making the man pretending to sleep flinch.

       "Dean, you're exaggerating. Hunting runs in his family. He may not know it, but I actually think he can do more than he realises. Look, at Bobby's, we're gonna teach him the basics. If we don't trust it, we leave him there, where he'll be safe. I'm sure Bobby will understand," Sam replied. Castiel could hear him on the left side of the car, figuring that they switched places and that the younger Winchester was now driving. How long had he been out? Dean's sigh could be heard clearly and Castiel could imagine him holding his hands through his hair or rubbing his mouth in frustration.

       "Alright, but the second he misses a target or freaks out, we leave him there. I don't want another death on my watch," he mumbled, making Castiel's heart ache in his chest. He figured that Dean went through much, but the way he said it, the guilt was eating him alive.

       "Cas won't get hurt. I know you care about him a little bit too much and want to protect him, but he's twenty-two. He's been through some rough shit and abandoning him won't help him get better. Have you told him how you feel about him?"

       "Well, not exactly. I'm pretty sure he will freak out. I just need to give him some time," Dean mumbled. Castiel smiled a little bit, hiding it quickly. Sam let out a surprised laugh. "What?

        "It's just- You've never been patient with any girl before. How long do you think you can keep it up?"

       "I honestly don't know. When we first met, that day you moved in, I just took an interest in him. You know that I make stupid comments when I'm awkward around people. I don't know. I never hooked up with anyone after that. But-" he stopped for a second. "Never mind."