Chapter twenty

20. Shapeshifter

       The familiar sound of the front door of the Impala shutting echoed through the air, footsteps following soon after. It was only seconds later that a door was opened, a familiar ringing sound signalling an arrival. Eyes ranked over bunks and tables, stopping where two men in suits sat, enjoying their coffee and discussing some files.

       "Hey babe," sounded the voice of Dean Winchester, catching both men's attention. The one that was wearing a tan trenchcoat over his suit, looked up and rolled his eyes as Dean sat down next to him and pecked his cheek.

       "Hello to you too, brother," Sam said, emphasising the last word to let him know he was here too. Dean smiled innocently at him, taking a sip from Castiel's coffee.

       "So, did you guys find out anything?" Dean asked. They had decided to split up earlier. Dean went to have a look at the bank that was robbed, while Castiel and Sam talked to the victim slash perpetrator, named Daniel Firewood and his girlfriend Holly.

       "Well, not really. Daniel kept talking about staying over at his girlfriend's house. She confirmed that theory and even his parents agreed. So, basically he has an alibi," Sam explained, making Dean nod. "What about you?"

       "OK. So, I got access to the security cameras from the bank. Lovely people. It showed them indeed that Daniel was the one to rob the place. But, when he glanced towards one of the cameras, this happened." Dean dropped a picture on the table, making Castiel and Sam both look at it. The image was slightly vague, but Daniel's eyes shone in the camera.

        "So, we are dealing with a shapeshifter?" Castiel asked. Dean nodded.

       "There's also something else I found out. The bank informed me that this wasn't the first robbery that happened. In the last month, there have been two more, just not that big. Every two weeks," Dean continued. "So, I looked up all the banks in the area and found out that it's working with a pattern."

       Dean held  out a map, circling all the banks around town and crossing the ones that already had been robbed. Then he pulled a line.

       "The U.S. Bancorp bank? Tomorrow?" Sam clarified. Again, Dean let out a nod. "Alright, now we know where it's going to be. How are we going to catch it?"

       "Well, let's not get in the whole robbing thing, because that didn't work out so well last time," Dean said, smiling cheekily. Sam laughed too.

       "What happened?" Castiel asked, looking at the Winchester brothers in confusion.

       "Before I went back to college, we worked a shifter case somewhat like this. The shifters in this case copied us and we 'robbed a bank'. Let's just say the police didn't leave us alone until we faked our death," Sam explained. Castiel had his mouth open in shock.

       "We could always block the entrances? I'm sure the bank would grand us information about them as FBI agents," Castiel suggested.

       "Yeah, maybe. The thing is that it could be anybody who walks in or out of the bank and when it is doing its job, police will be everywhere," Sam said, making Castiel frown.

       "What if one of us stays in the control room and checks the cameras for that weird sighting. That is more specific," Castiel tried again.