Chapter 27

It was wrong. Gerard knew it was wrong. Leaving Frank alone was enough for him to feel frightened, and now he was just about to enter the alley, where he knew his brother was waiting for him.

He tried to release the shaky breath he was holding and stepped inside, into the dimmed light, and quickly enough spotted the tall figure that leaned against the wall, barely recognizable in the foggy atmosphere.

But Gerard already knew him too well to be able to miss him.

"Why did you show up at that restaurant?" The elder's sharp voice but through the cold air like a knife. Michael turned his head towards him with a bored expression.

"Well that was pretty straight forward," he replied in a monotonic voice.

"Cut the crap, Michael. I wanna get to the fucking point. Why were you there?" Gerard growled out, already getting sick of being there.

"Because I wanted to fuck with your brain," the younger stated simply. Gerard raised an eyebrow, so he continued. "You get scared when I show up. I wanted to make sure you stay that way."

"I'm not sca-"

"Do I look stupid to you, Gerard?" Michael snapped, louder than he'd been so far. "Because if you think I'm buying that nonsense you have a fucking problem. You're scared of me. You're terrified. You don't know what to do with yourself and it makes you angry. And the painful truth is, Gerard, that you're lost. You're lost like a puppy on the streets but you want it to end. Don't you want it all to just stop?"

"I can fight you, Michael," Gerard whispered, and as much as he wished it wouldn't be this way, his voice was shaky and his heart was racing in his chest, he could hear the fast beating against his own ribs, as his lungs struggled to let some air in.

The younger brother let out a dry laugh, followed by a glare that reflected through the older's hazel orbs.

"You'd wish it was true, wouldn't you? You wish you were stronger than me, that you could stand a chance against the power I have over your life."

And before Gerard could notice or react, the other man was right in front of him, grabbing the front of his jacket, their faces only inches apart.

"Well... let me prove you wrong," Michael whispered, only allowing his brother one moment of catching up before he pulled his head back and slammed his forehead to Gerard's painfully, sending the man to the floor along with the surprised noise he made.

Gerard blinked rapidly and looked up at the younger with shiny eyes.

Michael nearly chuckled at how pitiful it was, how worthless his brother seemed right now. He gave him a loathing look, then his foot collided forcefully with with the elder's stomach, and Gerard could no longer hold himself up.

The younger man didn't stop though. He wanted Gerard to see, to remember who had the upper hand in this story, who was the one with the plan.

Gerard whimpered. He tried to control and suppress his vampire mode, because unlike his brother and many other vampires, he had no self-restrain over his body while in this state. He never bothered learning it, because he spent too many years keeping it in the dark, avoiding it.

So now he was suffering, getting beaten up by Michael, not finding it in himself to push back, not even when the pain became worse.

Michael was strong enough to kill him.

And so far he seemed to be relishing his position, letting out some of the fury he felt for the older man. He didn't want Gerard to die, not yet. He just wanted to drain his hope a little more, show that slut that even sex with Frank couldn't hide him.