The Gathering Storm

Rain was pouring down heavily on the roof of Bag End. It was as loud as a stampede of wild horses. I was snuggling in the middle of the living room couch in a warm cotton blanket. I grew anxious. I thought that this dreadful thunderstorm would never stop. It felt like it was going on forever.

Frodo was sitting in Bilbo's old rocker, listening to the sounds of the rain and thunder. Merry was sitting on the far end of the couch, gazing at living room window. He saw flashes of lightning that appeared right before his eyes. At first, he thought that his eyes were playing tricks on him, but then he saw the storm outside and realized that it was only lightning.

"How long is this awful storm going to last?" I asked Frodo, anxiously.

"I am not sure, dear." Answered Frodo, in a soft voice.

Frodo leaned back in Bilbo's rocking chair and slowly closed his eyes. He let out a quiet sigh. It seemed as if Frodo was lulled by the sound of the rain. A few seconds later, there was a loud boom of thunder, which frightened Frodo half to death. He pressed his hand to his chest and took short, sharp breaths. His baby blue eyes grew wide.

"Goodness me!" Cried Frodo.

Merry found Frodo's reaction amusing. He looked over at Frodo burst into a fit of laughter. Frodo shot Merry an angry look.

"Why on earth did you find that funny, Merry?!" Frodo exclaimed.

"Oh, Don't worry, Frodo. It's only a little thunder." Merry teased.

Frodo shook his head and grumbled in frustration. "Why on earth did I invite him over to my home?" He thought to himself. "I didn't know he was going to be such a nuisance. It's too late now. It's pouring rain. I can't send him on his way home. I hope this storm ends....eventually."

Out of the blue, there was another loud boom of thunder. It was much worse than the one that had startled Frodo. When I heard it, I was caught off guard. I panicked and quickly buried my head underneath my blanket. I shed a few tears and whimpered quietly.

Frodo and Merry both stared at me. Frodo slowly rose from the rocking chair and sat down beside me on the couch, placing a gentle hand on my shoulder. Merry glanced over Frodo's shoulder so that he could get a good view of me. There was a bewildered expression on his face.

"Brianna? Are you alright?" Frodo whispered. "What happened?"

"Th-the....thunder." I choked. "The thunder....scared me so much. It was so...h-h-horrrible!"

Frodo placed a hand on my shoulders and rubbed it, comfortingly. "Oh, dear. I'm so sorry to hear that." He said, in a soothing voice. "Brianna, my dearest, would you take off that blanket so that I can see you?"

"But, then you'll see me cry." I said, fearfully. "I don't want to take it off."

"Don't worry, Bri." Said Merry, in a cheerful voice. "I'm sure you'll look beautiful, like always. Absolutely beautiful."

Frodo quickly turned around and glared at Merry in annoyance. "What?" Asked Merry, while shrugging his shoulders. "I was only trying to help. Don't you want me to help?"

"I'm sure I am more than capable of doing this on my own, Merry." Frodo retorted. "Please, can I have half a moment with her?"

Merry sighed. "Suit yourself, then. I was only trying to help." Merry mumbled something under his breath.

Frodo turned back to me and smiled. "Brianna, won't you come out from under there?" He asked, in a warm voice. "There is nothing to be ashamed of. I'm here for you."

"I'm here for you, too." Merry added.

I gingerly lifted the blanket off my head with my shaky hands. I took a quick look at Frodo, then masked my face in embarrassment.

"I'm...I'm sorry, Frodo." I gasped. "I can't."
Tears fell from my eyelids like a waterfall. "I'm s-sorry."

Frodo's eyes widened and his heart filled with pity. He knew that he had to try his best to console me.

"Oh, Brianna." Frodo's voice fell into a whisper. "You don't have to be sorry. It's alright. It's alright."

I felt Frodo wrap his arms around my waist and pulling me close to his warm body. I buried my head inside Frodo's waistcoat and continued to sob. Frodo rested his chin on my head and rocked me gently. Back and forth, back and forth, back and forth.

"F-Frodo...."

"Shhh, Brianna." Frodo soothed. "Shh. You're alright. You're safe now. You're safe. There's nothing to be afraid of."

The storm outside had finally calmed down. The rain pitter-pattered against the roof and the living room window. There was no more thunder or lightning to be seen.

I felt Frodo's warm breath against my neck. I could hear the sound of Frodo's heartbeat through his chest. It was so comforting to hear it. I let out a loud yawn, I fluttered my eyelids and I fell into a deep sleep.

Frodo looked down on me and chuckled softly. "Sleep well, my dear, Brianna." He brushed my hair over my ears and pressed his satin soft lips against my forehead.

A wide grin grew on Merry's face. He shuffled over to where Frodo and I were sitting and he wrapped an arm around me. Merry slowly shut his eyes and rested his curly head on my shoulder. The three of us were all huddled together, sleeping peacefully.