IX ~ Veered

Credit to CheyBooks for this banner.

Why won't he notice me? Nobody has noticed me since I've gotten home. My boyfriend sits on the couch with my family. They all watch the door. Are we having company? If so, I should probably get ready.

I came home soaking wet. I don't remember what got me drenched. Must've been a strong storm out there. I pad up to my room and head into my bathroom. Looking in the mirror, I notice I look a little different. My brown eyes are glassy and my face is tinted a blue color. My hair hangs limply at the sides of my face.
How odd... Must be cold outside.

With that thought, I shiver and turn the shower on. The glass fogs up and I step inside. I hum a merry tune as I scrub my hair and my awfully cold body. I finish and turn off the shower. I get dressed and go downstairs.

"Who's coming over?" I ask.

Nobody answers. I notice my voice sounds a little off. They all just keep staring at the door. I step in front of my little brother.

"Hello? Little bro?" I ask, waving my hand in front of his face.

No reaction. My mom's phone rings. She answers it quickly.

"Hello?" She greets urgently.

I hear a muffled voice from the phone. My mom's amber eyes fill with tears. My dad gasps and my boyfriend lowers his head, shoulders shaking with sorrow. What's going on?

"Put it on speaker. I want to hear it for myself." My dad says gruffly.
"What-?" I begin to say.
"Good evening," A mans voice begins. "We have confirmed that your daughters car veered off the road, landing in the lake. Unfortunately, she did not survive. Your daughter has drowned."

•••

Inspiration? Beetlejuice.