XXVI ~ The Jungle

I slash and hack through the think underbrush of the jungle. Sweat trickles down my back as I swing the machete to and fro. I stop and take a breath, looking around the never ending green.

"Why did I choose to grow my hair out before this expedition?" I ask myself.

    Never am I ever going to let my girlfriend make me grow out my hair again. I brush it back and readjust my hat.

    Now, where did my group go? Yep, I lost my group because I decided to stare at a plant for too long. Oops. Taking one last breath, I resume my hacking and slashing.

~

"Thrash!" Someone shouts my last name.

    I turn towards the voice. A girl with bright purple hair breaks through the leaves. She sticks her tongue out in distaste.

"Aster!"

    She turns to look at me. Aster smiles smiles at me.

"Thrash! There you are! I thought I heard you talking to yourself."

    I frown at the spunky teen I decided to take on this expedition.

"So where is everyone else?" I ask, peering over her small frame.

    An uneasy expression paddies over her face, making her black painted lips pull into a frown.

"I lost them?" Aster says it as more of a question.

    I stare at her. Slapping my forehead, I hand her water as she begins to fan herself. She gazes at me, her dark eyes wide.

"All right then, Aster," I say and spin on my heel. "Let's get back to camp."
"Try." Aster corrects.

    I give her a look. All right then, let's try to get back to camp.

~

    It's all trashed.

"Thrash, what happened to camp?" Aster asks, looking around the camp.
"Somebody trashed it. Duh." I say.

    Aster makes a noise and peers into the ripped tent. I look around. Tables are flipped, sample glasses are smashed, food is opened and spilled everywhere. I sigh and rub my face.

"Hey! What's that?" Aster shouts from the other side of the camp.

    I turn and jog over to her. She points one slender finger at a tree. Except... it's all hacked in odd places. It makes it looks like an abstract painting. It pretty but terrifying.

"Thrash." Aster says.
"Yes, Aster?"

    She turns and looks at me, fear prominent in her elfish features.

"We are in the middle of a jungle, never explored by man."

    Oh.

•••

Oooooohhhhhh. Cliffhanger! Hey guys! Sorry I'm not updating as much. It's been a little hectic but, now that school is over, I should be able to do it! Gee, I'm an eighth grader now. Nnnnnnooooooo.