XXXIII ~ Lucy

"Happy birthday!" Ms. Jackson shouts, jarring her daughter from her sleep.

Lucy sits up and rubs her eyes. She yawns an smiles tiredly at her mother.

"Thank you." She rasps, voice scratchy from sleep.

Ms. Jackson smiles and hands her daughter a heavily wrapped gift. Lucy's bright eyes widen.

"Oh, Mom. You didn't have to." Lucy says, gazing at the box.

Her mother waves a hand.

"Open it!"

Lucy rips back the paper and tries to hold back a gasp. A damaged porcelain doll looks up at her. It's delicate face cracked, one brown eye missing, and the powder blue dress it's wearing is ripped. Ms. Jackson smiles.

"Do you like her?" She asks.

Looking up at Ms. Jackson, Lucy plasters a fake smile on her face.

"I love it, Mom. Thanks." She says.

Ms. Jackson nods and stands.

"Be careful with her, Lucy. She's gone through a lot." Ms. Jackson winks and leaves.

Immediately after, Lucy's smile falls from her lips. She gazes uneasily at the ruined doll. This thing is not staying is in my room, Lucy thinks as she walks out of her room and puts the doll in the stair storage. Specifically, the bottom step.

~

"Mom, I'm going to bed!" Lucy shouts from upstairs.
"Okay! Good night!" Ms. Jackson shouts back.

Lucy pulls back the cover and closes her eyes, forgetting all about her new doll.

~

Lucy's eyes snap open. Her eyes almost immediately adjust to the darkness. Lucy rubs her eyes and lays back down. She yawns and shuts her eyes, ready to fall back asleep. Suddenly she hears something down stairs.

"Lucy, I'm on the second step" A soprano voice speaks from the darkness.

She stops tossing and turning, stilling. Everything so quiet, you could hear the terrified girl's pulse.

"What?" She whispers, her voice shaking.

She gets no answer. Lucy only shakes it off as her imagination and allows herself to fall back asleep.

~

    The next night, Lucy wakes up at the same time. She clutches the sheets to her chest as she looks around nervously.

"Lucy, I'm on the sixth step."

    A whimper escapes her lips. She lays back down and tries to fall asleep but, the small clicking noises coming from down the hall keep her awake.

~

    Again, Lucy wakes up. She waits for the voice.

"Lucy, I'm on the tenth step." Comes the haunting voice, closer than ever before.

Lucy flinches.

"That's the final step." She whispers to no one in particular.

A high pitched cackle comes from just outside her door. A scream erupts from Lucy's throat. She sobs when the door opens.

"No, no, no, no, no." Lucy cries.

Then she sees it. The broken doll. It takes a step and Lucy lets out one, final scream.

~

Ms. Jackson sits up in bed, yawning and stretching while admiring the dark clouds out side.

"Beautiful day." Says Ms. Jackson happily as she slides out of bed.

She slips her slippers on and goes downstairs to make a pot of coffee. While she leans against the granite counter, Ms. Jackson thinks to go check on her daughter. I did hear some odd noises come from her room last night, She thinks as she opens Lucy's door.

Only the doll sits on the bed. Hm. All the while, Ms. Jackson smiles at the thought of Lucy using the doll. While she goes down the stairs, a metallic smell invades her nostrils.

"What in the world?" Ms. Jackson mutters.

It must be coming from under the stairs. Ms. Jackson opens the step and lets out a scream, dropping the coffee mug. It shatters, spilling the pipping hot liquid all over the wooden floors.

There, in the small storage of the stairs, is the dead, crammed body of Lucy Jackson.

•••

Ew. So, my updating schedule is going to be a little off because I have babysitting stuff and other things! How nice. Anyways, I have one more scary story and then I'll give you guys a happy one (finally!). Oh, and HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY! SUCK IT ENGLAND (just kidding, we love you guys❤️)!