Chapter 17

"Oookayy," The Doctor said as he walked to the TARDIS door and I followed him. We both got out and I closed the door, "So, it's two hundred thousand, and it's a spaceship," He said, "No, wait a minute, space station, and um, go and try that gate over there."

I nodded, "Okay. Two hundred thousand?" I asked. "Two hundred thousand," The Doctor repeated and I opened the door, "Adam?" I called and Adam walked out. "Oh, my God," He said. "Don't worry, you'll get used to it," I said with a smirk. "Where are we?" He asked.

"Good question. Let's see. Judging by the architecture, I'd say we're around the year two hundred thousand. Now listen. Engines. We're on some sort of space station. Yeah, definitely a space station," I repeated The Doctor's words. Adam continued to look around and I glanced over his shoulder at The Doctor as he crossed his arms across his chest and he winked, giving me a thumb up.

I smiled and looked around, "It's a bit warm in here. They could turn the heating down. Tell you what -- let's try that gate. Come on," I said and led the way to the gate and I opened it. The three of us stepped up onto the stairs and looked through the window to see Earth. "I'll let The Doctor explain this one," I said.

"The Fourth great and bountiful Human Empire," The Doctor explained, "And there it is, planet Earth at it's height. Covered with mega-cities, five moons, population ninety six billion. The hub of a galactic domain stretching across a million planets, a million species, with mankind right in the middle."

With that, Adam fainted and I closed my eyes, sighing. "He's your boyfriend," The Doctor said. I reopened my eyes and shot him a look, "Shut up, he isn't my boyfriend." I kneeled down at Adam's side and shook his shoulder, "Adam, come on."

...................

After Adam finally woke up, we went to look around at the space station. It had a central hub with three wheels turning. "Come on, Adam," The Doctor told him, "Open your mind. You're going to like this. Fantastic period of history. The human race at its most intelligent. Culture, art, politics. This era has got fine food, good manners."

"Out of the way!" A man called as he rushed past us. A whole bunch of food kiosks opened and people were rushing. "This is fine cuisine," I said sarcastically. "My watch must be wrong," The Doctor said and looked at his watch, "No, it's fine. It's weird."

"Maybe your history's not as good as you thought it was," I suggested. "My history's perfect, Sam," He said. "I say otherwise," I teased with a smirk. "They're all human," Adam pointed out, "What about the millions of planets, the millions of species? Where are they?"

"Good question," The Doctor said, "Actually, that is a good question." He wrapped his arm around Adam's shoulder, "Adam, me old mate, you must be starving." He started to led him away and I looked around the place. "It's not bad," I muttered.

"Sam," The Doctor called and I walked over to them. The Doctor took out his Sonic Screwdriver and scanned a machine before taking out a card and gave it to Adam. "There you go, pocket money. Don't spend it all on sweets," The Doctor said. "How does it work?" Adam asked.

"Go and find out. Stop nagging me," The Doctor whined, "The thing is, Adam, time travel's like visiting Paris. You can't just read the guide book, you've got to throw yourself in. Eat the food, use the wrong verbs, get charged double and end up kissing complete strangers. Or is that just me? Stop asking questions, go and do it."