Chapter 26

We all got to the bomb site, The Doctor and Jack uncovered the space craft while the woman, Nancy and I stood by. "You see? Just an ambulance," Jack said. "That's an ambulance?" Nancy asked. "It's hard to explain. It's from another world," I replied.

"They've been trying to get in," Jack said. "Of course they have. They think they've got their hands on Hitler's latest secret weapon," The Doctor said and Jack started to press buttons, making The Doctor frown, "What're you doing?"

"The sooner you see this thing is empty, the sooner you'll know I had nothing to do with it," Jack said and started to open the ship before it sparked. "Didn't happen last time."

"It hadn't crashed last time. There'll be emergency protocols," The Doctor said. "Doctor, what is that?" I asked before the patients from the hospital started banging at the doors. "Doctor," I said. "Captain, secure those gates," The Doctor said. "Why?" Jack asked. "Just do it! Nancy, how'd you get in here?" The Doctor asked. "I cut the wire," Nancy said.

"Show Sam. Setting two thousand four hundred and twenty eight D," The Doctor said and he tossed me the Sonic Screwdriver. "What?" I asked. "Reattaches barbed wire. Go!" He said and I ran off with Nancy.

I used the Sonic Screwdriver on the bard wire while Nancy stood behind me. "Who are you?" She asked, "Who are any of you?"

"You'd never believe me if I told you," I said. "You just told me that was an ambulance from another world," She pointed out, "There are people running around with gas mask heads calling for their mummies, and the sky's full of Germans dropping bombs on me. Tell me, do you think there's anything left I couldn't believe?"

I looked at her, "We're time travellers from the future," I replied. "Mad, you are," She said as her eyes grew wide. "We have a time travel machine," I said, "Seriously."

"It's not that. All right, you've got a time travel machine. I believe you. Believe anything, me. But what future?" Nancy asked. "Nancy, this isn't the end," I informed, "I know how it looks, but it's not the end of the world or anything."

"How can you say that? Look at it," She said. "Listen to me. I've lived in this city since I was 6. I'll live here, in like, 50 years time," I said. "You'll live here?" She asked in surprise. "Yes," I said.

She shook her head, "But, but you're not . . ." She trailed off. "What?" I asked. "German," She said. "Nancy, the Germans don't come here. They don't win. Don't tell anyone I told you so, but you know what? You win," I said softly. "We win?" She repeated in surprise and amazement. I nodded before grabbing her hand, "Come on."

We ran back to The Doctor and Jack to see they were still at the ship. "It's empty. Look at it," Jack said. "What do you expect in a Chula medical transporter? Bandages? Cough drops?" The Doctor listed before turning to me, "Sam."

"I don't know," I said. "Yes, you do," He said, staring at me. I frowned as I thought before my eyes grew wide, "Nanogenes," I replied. He nodded before turning to Jack, "It wasn't empty, Captain. There was enough nanogenes in there to rebuild a species."

"Oh, God," Jack said. "Getting it now, are we?" The Doctor said, "When the ship crashes, the nanogenes escape. Billions upon billions of them, ready to fix all the cuts and bruises in the whole world. But what they find first is a dead child, probably killed earlier that night, and wearing a gasmask." I frowned, "And they brought him back to life? They can do that?" I asked.