Chapter 16

I kept running with Adam and the female guard in the incoming phalanx of guards. "Civilians! Let them through!" The guard said. We run through the incoming phalanx of guards and reached a set of stairs. "Stairs. That's more like it. It hasn't got legs. It's stuck," I said.

"It's coming. Get up," The female guard said. They went up one set of stairs and watched over the rail, as the Dalek entered. "Great big alien death machine defeated by a flight of stairs," Adam said.

"Now listen to me. I demand that you return to your cage. If you want to negotiate then I can guarantee that Mister van Statten will be willing to talk. I accept that we imprisoned you and maybe that was wrong, but people have died, and that stops right now. The killing stops. Have you got that? I demand that you surrender. Is that clear?" The female guard said.

"Elevate," The Dalek said and it started gliding up the stairs. "Oh my God," I breathed out in disbelief. "Adam, get her out of here," The female guard said. "Come with us. You can't stop it," I told her.

"Someone's got to try. Now get out! Don't look back. Just run," She said. I hesitated but followed Adam up the stairs. As we reached to the top and started to ran down the hallway, we heard the guard scream.

We ran to a room where there were guards ready with guns. "Hold your fire! You two, get the hell out of there!" A guard said. We ran out of the open and the Dalek followed in. I turned around just in time to see the Dalek turning it's head and focused on my face. I turned back around and ran around the corner with Adam.

"It was looking at me," I said, panting. "Yeah, it wants to slaughter us," Adam said. "I know, but it was looking right at me," I said. "It's just a sort of metal eye thing. It's looking all around," He said. "I just feel like there was something inside," I said, "Looking at me like it knows me."

We ran to the stairs when my phone suddenly rang and I answered it when I saw it was The Doctor. "This isn't the best time," I told The Doctor. "Where are you?" He asked. "Level forty nine," I replied. "You've got to keep moving. The vault's being sealed off up at level forty six," He said.

"Can't you stop them from closing?" I asked. "I'm the one who's closing them. I can't wait and I can't help you. Now for God's sake, run," He said. "We're nearly there. Give us two seconds," I said and hung up. "Come on!" Adam said as we were nearly there and the door started closing. Adam made it under before it closed but I was still in the vault.

"No," I whispered with tears in my eyes. I put my forehead against the door before my phone rang again, and I answered it. "Sam, where are you?" The Doctor asked, "Sam, did you make it?"

I breathed out, "No, I was a bit slow," I said. I turned around to see the Dalek was heading towards me. "It wasn't your fault. Remember that, okay?" I told The Doctor, blinking my tears away, "It wasn't your fault." The Dalek got inches closer to me now, "And you know what? I wouldn't have missed it for the world."

"Exterminate."

I closed my eyes, hoping it will be over quickly.

Zap!

I opened my eyes, and saw that the Dalek shoot the door and not me. I looked up and the Dalek was staring at me. "Go on then, kill me," I said, "Why're you doing this?"

"I am armed. I will kill. It is my purpose," It said. "They're all dead because of you," I said. "They are dead because of us," It said. "Now what? What're you waiting for?" I asked with fear. "I feel your fear," It said.