Chapter 21

Dad and I set down at the bench. "I'm a Dad," He said, "I mean, I'm already a Dad, but little Samantha grows up and she's you." I smiled, "I like to be call as Sam," I said with a chuckle. He laughed, "How did -- How did you get here?" He asked with a smile.

"You really want to know?" I asked with a smile. "Yeah," He said with a smile. "Time machine," I replied and he gave me a look. "I mean it. Cross my heart," I said. "Do you all have time machines where you come from?" He asked. "No. It's just The Doctor," I said.

"Did you know these things were coming?" He asked. "No," I replied. "My head's spinning," He said and we chuckled. "What's the future like?" He asked. "It's not so different," I said. "What am I like? Have I gone grey?" He asked. My smile faded away slightly and I didn't say anything so I just looked around.

"So, if this guy isn't your boyfriend and I have to say, I'm glad, because being your Dad and all, I think he's a bit old for you," Dad said and I smiled again. "Have you got a boyfriend?" He asked. I shook my head a little, "No. But Rose does."

"Your cousin?" He asked and I nodded. "Yeah," I muttered. "He's a nice guy and he's my best friend." He nodded, "What about Jackie and Pete?" He asked. "How are they?"

I shrugged, "They fine," I said. "Are they still together?" He asked. "Yeah," I replied. "Really?" He asked, scoffing, "I thought they would have killed each other by now." I giggled, "No, they are still together."

Dad nodded and sighed, "We should go back to the others," He said and I nodded sadly before we walked back to everyone else. I walked up to The Doctor, who was watching baby Samantha. "Now, Sam you're not going to bring about the end of the world, are you? Are you?" The Doctor asked the baby.

I smiled a little and he looked up at me, and then he looked back at the baby. "Sarah gave her to me to look after. How times change," He said. "It's weird looking at her," I said, "Me." I went to touch my baby self but The Doctor stopped me by grabbed my wrist.

"No. Don't touch the baby. You're both the same person. That's a paradox, and we don't want a paradox happening, not with these things outside. Anything new, any disturbance in time makes them stronger. The paradox might let them in," He explained. I sighed as he let go of my hand, "I can't do anything right," I muttered.

"Since you're bringing it up, no. So, don't touch the baby," He said. "I'm not stupid," I said. "You could have fooled me," He said. I faced the other way and looked down. "All right, I'm sorry. I wasn't really going to leave you on your own," He said. "I know," I said, "I was afraid you would."

"Between you and me, I haven't got a plan. No idea. No way out," The Doctor said. "You'll think of something," I encouraged, "You always do."

"The entire Earth's been sterilised," He said, "This, and other place like it, are all that's left of the human race. We might hold out for a while, but nothing can stop those creatures. They'll get through in the end. The walls aren't that old. And there's nothing I can do to stop them. There used to be laws stopping this kind of thing from happening. My people would have stopped this. But they're all gone. And now I'm going the same way."

"If I'd realized . . ." I trailed off. "Just tell me you're sorry," The Doctor said. "I am," I promised, "I'm really, really sorry." He touched my cheek and smiled before pulled me into a hug. I hugged him back before frowning when I felt something hot on my chest.