Chapter 23

I slowly opened my eyes to find myself in a bed. I turned to see the same man that caught me sitting at a chair, staring at me. "Better now?" He asked. "Don't know," I said, getting up. "Who are you?"

"Captain Jack Harkness," He replied, getting up, "One Three Three Squadron, Royal Air Force. American volunteer." He gave me his ID card and I smirked. "Liar," I said, "This is psychic paper. It tells me whatever you want it to tell me."

"How do you know?" He asked. "Two things. One, I have a friend who uses this all the time. And two, you just handed me a piece of paper telling me you're single and you work out," I said, letting out a chuckle.

"Tricky thing, psychic paper," Jack said. "Can't let your mind wander when you're handing it over," I said as I gave the psychic paper back to him. "Oh, you consider yourself to be footloose and fancy free," He said.

"What are you talking about?" I asked with a grin. "Actually, the word you use is also available," He said. "And another one, very." I smiled, "Can we try and get along without the psychic paper?" I asked. "That would be better, wouldn't it?" He asked and I nodded.

I started walking around and Jack followed. "Nice spaceship," I complimented. "Gets me around," He said. "Very Spock," I said. "Who?" He asked and I sighed, shaking my head, "Never mind," I muttered, "Guessing you're not a local boy, then."

"A cell phone and fabrics that won't be around for at least another two decades. Guessing you're not a local girl," Jack said. I turned around to face him, "Wow, clever you are," I teased.

I looked down at my hands and noticed rope burns. "Burn your hands on the rope?" Jack asked. "Yeah," I said and whipped my head around to look out at the window, "We're parked in mid air. Can't anyone down there see us?"

"No," He replied, "Can I have a look at your hands?" I hold out my hands and he started scanning them. "You can stop acting now. I know exactly who you are. I can spot a Time Agent a mile away," He said. "A Time Agent?" I repeated with a frown.

"I've been expecting one of you guys to show up. Though not, I must say, by barrage balloon. Do you often travel that way?" He asked. "Sometimes I get swept off my feet," I joked.

Jack smiled and took off his scarf before he wrapped it around my wrists. "What are you doing?" I asked with a frown. "Try to keep still," He said. As he pressed a button, he got closer to me. I smiled and he smiled back.

I looked back at my wrists and suddenly there was a glowing bundle in my hands. "Nanogenes. Sub-atomic robots. The air in here is full of them. They just repaired three layers of your skin," Jack explained.

The glow dissipates and he untied my wrists. "Thanks," I said. "Shall we get down to business?" Jack asked. "Business?" I repeated. "Shall we have a drink on the balcony?" He asked. He pressed a button and a latch opened, "Bring up the glasses." I grabbed the glasses and carefully brought them up as I followed him out.

As soon as I got out, I looked down and noticed the ship was invisible. "I know I'm standing on something," I said. Jack pressed a button on a remote and the ship appeared. "You have an invisible spaceship," I stated and nodded, "Nice."

"Yeah," Jack said. "Tethered up to Big Ben for some reason," I said. "First rule of active camouflage. Park somewhere you'll remember," He said. He opened the champagne bottle and I giggled. He smiled and filled a glass. He gave it to me and our hands touched. I glanced at him and he at me before I looked down, smiling.