Chapter 14

"All right, Doctor. I'm not saying I trust you, but there must be something you can do," Aunt Jackie said through my phone. "If we could ferment the port, we could make acetic acid," Harriet said. "Mickey, Rose, any luck?" I asked. "There's loads of emergency numbers. They're all on voicemail," Mickey said.

I put my hand on my forehead, "If we could just get out of here," I said. "There's a way out," The Doctor said. "What?" I asked, looking at him. "There's always been a way out," He said. "Then why don't we use it?" I asked. He looked at the phone, "Because I can't guarantee your niece will be safe."

"Don't you dare. Whatever it is, don't you dare," Aunt Jackie said. "That's the thing. If I don't dare, everyone dies," The Doctor said. "Do it," I said and The Doctor looked back at me. "You don't even know what it is. You'd just let me?" He asked.

"Yeah," I said. "No, Doctor, you can't. She's just a kid," Uncle Pete said. "You think I don't know that? Because this is my life, Pete," The Doctor said, "It's not fun, it's not smart, it's just standing up and making a decision because nobody else will."

"Then what are you waiting for?" I asked and he looked at me again. "I could save the world but lose you," He said and we just stared at each other. "Except it's not your decision, Doctor," Harriet spoke, making us both look at her, "It's mine."

"Who the hell are you?" Rose snapped. "Harriet Jones, MP for Flydale North. The only elected representative in this room, chosen by the people for the people. And on behalf of the people, I command you. Do it," Harriet said and The Doctor smiled at me.

"How do we get out?" I asked. "We don't. We stay here. Use the buffalo password. It overrides everything," The Doctor said. "We're in. Here it is. HMS Taurean, Trafalgar Class submarine, ten miles off the coast of Plymouth," Mickey said. "Right, we need to select a missile," The Doctor said.

"We can't go nuclear. We don't have the defence codes," Mickey said. "We don't need it. All we need's an ordinary missile. What's the first category?" The Doctor asked. "Sub Harpoon, UGM-A4A," Mickey said. "That's the one. Select. You ready for this?" The Doctor asked. "Yeah," Mickey said. "Mickey the idiot, the world is in your hands," The Doctor said, "Fire."

"How solid are these?" Harriet asked. "Not solid enough. Built for short range attack, nothing this big," The Doctor said. "All right, now I'm making the decision. We are not going to die. We're going to ride this one out," I said and opened the door. "I'm going to need some help." With that I walked off and they followed.

After a few minutes, we went into hiding in the room. "It was nice knowing you both," Harriet said and we all grabbed hands. The room started shaking which meant the missile hit. It started tumbling and turning before it stopped after a few long moments, but it felt like forever.

The Doctor opened the shelter door and we all got out. I sighed in relief, looking around. "Made in Britain," Harriet said. "Oh, my God. Are you all right?" A policeman asked as he came over.

"Harriet Jones. MP, Flydale North. I want you to contact UN immediately. Tell the ambassadors the crisis is over. They can step down. Go on, tell the news," Harriet said. "Yes, ma'am," The policeman said and he walked away.

"Someone's got a hell of a job sorting this lot out. Oh, Lord. We haven't even got a Prime Minister," Harriet said. "Maybe you should have a go," The Doctor suggested. "Me?" She asked and chuckled, "Huh. I'm only a back-bencher."