Chapter 24

I looked at the gas mask patients as they all were getting closer to me, The Doctor and Jack. Suddenly I had an idea and I hoped it was going to work. "Go to your room," I ordered and all the gas mask patients stood still. "Go to your room. I mean it. I'm very, very angry with you. Go to your room, and don't make me say it again," I ordered, crossing my arms across my chest.

All the gas mask patients hang their heads in shame and went back to the beds. I uncrossed my arms as I breathed in relief. "I'm so glad that worked," I said as I grabbed The Doctor's arm. "How did you do that?" Jack asked in shock.

"I just thought about what my Uncle and Aunt used to say when I was getting in trouble when I was younger," I replied before walked over to one of the patients. I sat down on the chair as I stared at him, "Why are they all wearing gas masks?" I asked as Jack stood beside me.

"They're not. Those masks are flesh and bone," Jack said. "How was your con supposed to work?" The Doctor asked him. "Simple enough, really. Find some harmless piece of space junk, let the nearest Time Agent track it back to Earth, convince him it's valuable, name a price. When he's put fifty percent up front, oops! A German bomb falls on it, destroys it forever. He never gets to see what he's paid for, never knows he's been had. I buy him a drink with his own money, and we discuss dumb luck. The perfect self-cleaning con," Jack explained.

"Yeah. Perfect," The Doctor said sarcastically. "The London Blitz is great for self-cleaners. Pompeii's nice if you want to make a vacation of it though, but you've got to set your alarm for volcano day. Getting a hint of disapproval," Jack said. "Take a look around the room. This is what your harmless piece of space-junk did," The Doctor said.

"It was a burnt-out medical transporter. It was empty," Jack said. "Sam," The Doctor said. I got up and walked over to him, "Are we getting out of here?" I asked. "We're going upstairs," He said.

"I even programmed the flight computer so it wouldn't land on anything living. I harmed no-one. I don't know what's happening here, but believe me, I had nothing to do with it," Jack said.

"I'll tell you what's happening. You forgot to set your alarm clock. It's volcano day," The Doctor said and then an alarm went off. "What's that?" I asked. "The all clear," Jack said. "I wish," The Doctor said and then he walked off. I waited for Jack before we both followed The Doctor out.

We looked around but didn't find him so we started to run off, "Mr. Spock?" Jack called. "Doctor?" I called. Suddenly The Doctor peeked out from the top of a staircase. "Have you got a blaster?" He asked Jack. "Sure," He said.

We ran up the stairs to The Doctor, who was standing in front of a secure metal door. "The night your space-junk landed, someone was hurt. This was where they were taken," The Doctor said. "What happened?" I asked. "Let's find out," He said and then looked at Jack, "Get it open."

He moved out of the way and stood beside me. "What's wrong with your Sonic Screwdriver?" I whispered with a frown. "Nothing," He whispered back before Jack's blaster disintegrated the lock.

"Sonic blaster, fifty first century. Weapon Factories of Villengard?" The Doctor asked. "You've been to the factories?" Jack asked. "Once," The Doctor said. "Well, they gone now, destroyed. The main reactor went critical. Vaporized the lot," Jack said. "Like I said. Once. There's a banana grove there, now. I like bananas. Bananas are good," The Doctor said before he walked into the room.

"Nice blast pattern," I complimented Jack. "Digital," He said. "Squareness gun," I said. "Yeah," He said. "I like it," I said and he smirked before we followed The Doctor inside the room.