Chapter 5

The Doctor and I went back to the room with all the guest. "That wasn't a gravity pocket. I know gravity pockets and they don't feel like that," The Doctor said and he touched the scanner.

"What do you think, Jabe?" He asked, turning to a female guest that look like a tree. "Listened to the engines. They've pitched up about thirty Hertz. That dodgy or what?"

"It's the sound of metal. It doesn't make any sense to me," Jabe said. "Where's the engine room?" The Doctor asked. "I don't know, but the maintenance duct is just behind our guest suite, I could show you and your wife," Jabe said, nodding to me. "She's not my wife," The Doctor said. "Partner?" She asked. "Nope," He said.

"Okay, I'm just going to straighten this out; We're just friends. We're not romantically involved in any way," I said and The Doctor nodded in agreement. "So tell you what, you two go pollinate and I'm going to catch up with the family."

With that I walked away and towards Cassandra. I glanced over my shoulder at Jabe and The Doctor to see them walking away. I let out a sigh, shaking my head as I turned back to walk towards Cassandra.

"Soon, the sun will blossom into a red giant, and my home will die. That's where I used to live, when I was a little boy, down there," Cassandra said. I gave her a look of confusion and then looked back at the window.

"Mummy and Daddy had a little house built into the side of the Los Angeles Crevice. I'd have such fun," She said. "What happened to everyone else? The human race?" I asked. "They say mankind has touched every star in the sky," She said. "So, you're not the last human," I said, raising an eyebrow. "I am the last pure human. The others mingled," She said.

"So you stayed behind," I said. "I kept myself pure," She said. "How many operations have you had?" I asked. "Seven hundred and eight. Next week, it's seven hundred and nine. I'm having my blood bleached," She said. "Is that why you wanted a word? You could be flatter, Sammy. You've got a little bit of a chin poking out."

"I'd rather die," I said. "Honestly, it doesn't hurt," She said. "No, I mean it. I would rather die," I said. "Oh, well. What do you know," She said.

I gave her a look, "I was born on that planet, and so was my Mom, and so was my Dad, my Aunt, my Uncle and my cousin, and that makes me officially the last human being in this room, 'cause you're not human, Cassandra. I'm sorry, but you not. You've had it all nipped and tucked and flattened till there's nothing left. Anything human got chucked in the bin. You were a human once. But now you're just skin. Lipstick and skin. Nice talking," I said and with that I walked away.

I looked around for The Doctor but decided to just go back to the big room where the TARDIS need to be. I went back to the hallway and spotted the hooded men coming towards me. I nodded to them before walking pass them but suddenly, something hit me at the back and I faded into darkness.

...................

I groaned, opening my eyes as I placed my hand on the back on my head. I was at the big room but it was getting brighter and the room started to shake. I got up and rushed to the door to get out but it was locked. "No, no," I said before banging on the door. "Let me out! Let me out!"

Sun filter descending.

"Let me out! Let me out! Doctor!" I screamed. "Anyone in there?" I heard The Doctor's voice. "Let me out!" I said. "Well, it would be you," He said. "Open the door!" I said. "Hold on. Give me two ticks," He said.