Chapter 30

I let out a small moan, opening my eyes to see that I was in a dark room. "What the . . ." I muttered and looked around. I looked up to see a man standing above me. "What happened?" I asked. "It's all right. It's the transmat," He replied as he helped me up to my feet, "Does your head in. Get a bit of amnesia. What's your name?"

"Samantha. Sam as short," I said and looked around again, "Where's The Doctor?"

"Just remember do what the android says. Don't provoke it. The android's word is law," The man said. "What do you mean, android? Like a robot?" I asked. "Positions, everyone! Thank you!" A woman said.

"I was travelling, with The Doctor and a man called Jack. The Doctor wouldn't just leave me," I told the man. "That's enough chat. Positions! Final call! Good luck!" The woman said. "But I'm not supposed to be here," I said. "It says Samantha on the podium. Come on," The man said.

I slowly followed him to the podium and stood beside him. I glanced over to his podium to see his name was Rodrick. I looked around again, "Why does this look familiar?" I asked myself.

The android activated and my eyes grew wide. "The android. The Anne droid," I said to myself. "Welcome to The Weakest Link!" The Anne droid said. A countdown was beginning and I swallowed slowly.

The countdown was soon over. "Let's play The Weakest Link. Start the clock. Agorax, the name of which basic food stuff is an anagram of the word 'beard'?" Anne droid asked. "Bread," Agorax said. "Correct," Anne droid said, "Fitch in the Pan Traffic Calendar, which month comes after Hoob?"

"Is it Clavadoe?" Futch said. "No, Pandoff. Samantha, in maths, what is 258 minus 158?" Anne droid asked. "100," I said. "Correct. Rodrick," Anne droid said. "Bank," Rodrick said. "Which letter of the alphabet appears in the word dangle but not in the word gland?" Anne droid asked. "E," Rodrick said.

"Correct. Colleen, in social security, what D is the name of the payment given to Martian Drones?" Anne droid asked. "Default," Colleen said. "Correct. Broff, the Great Cobalt Pyramid is built on the remains of which famous Old Earth Institute?" Anne droid asked.

"Um, Touchdown," Broff said. "No, Torchwood. Agorax, in language, all five examples of which type of letter appear in the word facetious?" Anne droid asked. "Vowels," Agorax said. "Correct. Fitch, in biology, which blood cells contain iron? Red or white?" Anne droid asked.

"White," Fitch said. "No, red. Samantha, in the holovid series 'Jupiter Rising', the Grexnik is married to whom?" Anne droid asked. "How should I know?" I asked, frowning.

After a few questions, it got to the point where, "Samantha, what do you actually do?" Anne droid asked. "I just travel about a bit. Bit of a tourist, I suppose," Sam said. "Another way of saying unemployed. And yet, you've still got enough money to buy peroxide. Why Fitch?" Anne droid asked.

"Um . . . I think she got a few of the questions wrong," I said, shrugging. "You'd know all about that," Anne droid said. "Yeah, but I can't vote for myself, so it had to be Fitch. I'm sorry, that's the game. That's how it works. I had to vote for someone," I said.

Fitch was in tears, "Let me try again. It was the lights and everything. I couldn't think," She said. "In fact, with three answers wrong, Broff was the weakest link in that round, but it's votes that count," Anne droid said. "I'm sorry. Please. Oh God, help me!" Fitch said. "Fitch you are the weakest link. Goodbye," Anne droid said.

In a moment, Fitch was disintegrated and I gasped as my eyes grew wide. "And we've gone to the adverts. Back in three minutes," Anne droid said. "What happened?" I asked. "She was the Weakest Link so she was disintegrated," Rodrick replied.

"But I voted for her. This is sick. All of you, you're just sick! I'm not playing this," I said. "I'm not playing! I can't do it. I'm not. Please, somebody let me out of here," Broff said and he ran off. "You are the weakest link," Anne droid said and she disintegrated Broff, "Goodbye."

"Don't try to escape. It's play or die," Rodrick told me and I looked at him before back around. Doctor, where are you? Help me I thought.

...................

I was getting horrified as another contestant was disintegrated. The show went to break. "Colleen was clever. She banked all our money. Why'd you vote for her?" I asked Rodrick, but I knew something will happen with him.

"Because I want to keep you in. You're stupid! You don't even know the Princess Vossaheen's surname. When it comes to the final, I want to be up against you, so that you get disintegrated and I get a stack load of credits courtesy of the Bad Wolf Corporation," He said.

"What do you mean? Who's Bad Wolf?" I asked, frowning. "They're in charge. They run the Game Station," He said. "Why are they called Bad Wolf?" I asked. "I don't know. It's just a name. It's like an Old Earth nursery rhyme sort of thing, what does it matter?" He asked.

"I keep hearing those words everywhere we go. Bad Wolf. Different times. Different places, like it's written all over the Universe," I said. "What're you going on about?" Rodrick asked. "If the Bad Wolf is in charge of this quiz, then maybe I'm not here by mistake," I said, "Someone's been planning this."