Taken away

"We have to get him to the hospital."

"Who knows what happened!"

"Come on. Help me out."

"Arthur, stay okay. Breathe. You'll be alright."

"I'm here for you."

Arthur had no idea where he was taken away. He only heard faint voices in the background which didn't tell him much - just that they were taking him somewhere and he was somewhat heavy to carry away.

He could have sworn by now that one of the voices was definitely Alfred, and that made him feel much calmer, though he wasn't able to respond.

Where was he anyway?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The hospital was one of the worst ones Alfred had ever seen in his entire life - but it was also the only one he was able to take Arthur to.

The nurse laid him down on a small bed, which by Alfred, didn't even deserve to be called a bed. It had half - filthy bedsheets and a wrinkly pillow which fell out of the pillowcase and kind of felt disgusting and slippery. But it was the only room they were going to get... and that might have been Alfred's fault.

Alfred angered the nurses and doctors as soon as they got in, yelling at all of them, but it was only because of how concerned he was for his love.

"Mr. Jones, calm down or we will have to send you and your friend home." One of the nurses said in an irritated voice, furrowing her eyebrows at Alfred as she tried to keep Arthur safe  on the bed.

"I cannot stay calm as long as Arthur isn't okay!" Alfred spat out and placed his hands over his face, even Mathias tried to bring him into a more peaceful state.

The nurse was by now highly irritated by the loud voice and the American accent. She just rolled her eyes and told him to sit down next to the bed and not disturb the patient if that was possible.

On the other side, Arthur heard almost everything that was happening around him. He surely didn't feel comfortable on the bed but it was still better than laying on the bloody floor. His mind wasn't as blurry and the so-called clouds have gone away by now as well.
But what tortured his weak mind was the thought of Alfred knowing. If Alfred found out that this happened to him on a regular basis with no help or hospitalization, he would either be very mad at him for not seeking help, or be broken as much as Arthur was.

And if Arthur lost him... then that would be the end of him.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

A few hours had passed, and Arthur still hadn't made any particular movement. He was still on the filthy bed, breathing very slowly and put under constant control from the nurses. They patched him up where he hit his head and did a few check-ups on the rest of his body just in case, finding more older scars that they were highly concerned about.

But no one in the room was as concerned as Alfred.

Alfred sat on a wobbly chair next to Arthur's bed and held the Brit's gentle hand the entire time. He didn't dare go home or fall asleep, every possible second he would stand by Arthur and that wasn't going to change.
He hummed his favourite soft, slow songs quietly and stroked Arthur's messy blond hair that really needed to be washed. Of course it wasn't Arthur's fault, but after so many breakdowns and such, he didn't have much time for personal hygiene nor did he care at this point.

"I'd do anything to switch places with you... You don't deserve this..." Alfred whispered and closed his eyes on a brief moment, then blinking away the tears that he felt arise.
But Arthur didn't hear him.

The nurse came back to their room, gently opening the door so she wouldn't wake up Arthur if he was conscious enough to actually wake up.

"How is he?" She whispered to Alfred as she approached the bed.
"Shouldn't you tell me that?" Alfred shot at her and didn't even look away from the bed.
The nurse sighed, having no strength to go into discussions with him.
"Anyhow, visits are over. You should go home now and we will take care of him."
Alfred sighed and finally looked at her, still holding Arthur's hand.
"I'm not going anywhere'', he gave her a blunt response.

For a moment, it was quiet in the room. They looked each other in the eyes with pure anger.
"Mr. Jones, do I have to tell you fourteen times? Your friend left as soon as I told him only one person can stay."
"Well maybe he wanted to go. I'm staying."

She gave up with a sigh of annoyance and examined Arthur's well - being with Alfred still peacefully holding his hand.

Nothing will tear us apart, Arthur.