White lilies

Alfred and Arthur looked at each other for a couple of minutes, neither of them brave enough to say another word after that uncomfortable situation about Alfred having to leave England in two days.

"It's just for a short time." The American had finally found the strength to say something, and the words came out very quietly, like he was scared to say them.

"Alfred, I understand. I'm not a child. I can handle being alone. I can handle it, alright, I can!" Arthur felt tears form in the corners of his eyes, and tried to hold them back by sharp intakes of breath and harsh tone of speaking. The tone made Alfred widen his eyes a little and back away in his chair a little, face burning red.

"Alright, alright. No need to shout at me." Alfred sulked in his seat for a brief moment, glowering a little.

Arthur sighed and looked down, shaking his head. "I'm sorry." He spoke in almost a whisper tone and felt a little embarrassed for yelling at the person who only wished the best for him.

Chuckling a little, the American waved his hand and tried to smile, failing because the situation he had to explain to Arthur just wasn't smile worthy.

"So, you and Lukas will be away."

"Yes."

Arthur got lost in thought once again, burying his face in his hands and trying his complete best to keep composure. But being put in a situation like this, with his mental state, it was nearly impossible to have any self - control.

"I guess... I guess I'll try my best to be alright." He finally said in a normal tone, through a long sigh.

Alfred nodded, and took Arthur's hand gently, bringing it down from his face and holding it.
"Promise me one thing... Promise me that you won't hurt yourself." He seriously looked at him and said.

"Alfred, I haven't done it in weeks already." The Brit responded with a frown on.

"Good. " Alfred whispered softly, looking down and gently stroking Arthur's hand while being completely smothered by all the thoughts about Arthur being alone. He didn't trust him completely on that one, but he'll try to have at least a little faith that the Brit wouldn't do anything to hurt himself.

"Uh... You haven't told me how long exactly will you be in Washington." Arthur silently commented, earning Alfred to raise his look back up, thinking about the answer.

"Um, well, Braginsky has not told me the exact number of days. But I suppose three days...? I hope it's not a week, really. I want to be with you. A-also, I don't miss America at all."

Arthur just nodded at the answer, pretending to be satisfied with it, though he wasn't at all.

"Why don't we take a walk? You should really go for some fresh air, Arthur. You've gone pale." Alfred suggested daintily, earning a small smile and a hum of approval from the Englishman.

"Surely outside can't be that bad." Arthur chuckled a little as he returned the hold of Alfred's hand. "Do we need to go to the supermarket to grab some groceries as well?"

"No, no, leave the grocery shopping to me. Let's just take a walk through the park or something. Also, I'm sure the store is crowded today." Alfred responded with a troubled sigh and tried to hide the tenseness in his voice.

Arthur rolled his eyes a bit at the response, but he knew very well there was no use getting into an argument with the American. Though he did feel like a helpless child, Arthur wasn't lost in time and space - at least not most of the time - and he knew that he needed the help he was getting.

"Alright, alright. Let's go." Arthur stood up and muttered as he did.

Alfred smiled at his boyfriend accepting the suggestion and got off his chair, helping Arthur stand up just in case he got dizzy or felt like falling back down.

How am I supposed to leave him alone? What if it's more than three days? A week, two weeks...?
He can't cook his own food, he can't go out or be left alone for long. But I can't avoid this, because what if I lose my job? Then we'd be completely screwed.

I guess I'll just have to rely that everything is going to be fine with him.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The park was really relaxing for both Arthur and Alfred, and also a fairly good distraction from all the thoughts they were both already deep and lost in.

They sat themselves on a wooden bench which stood on the side of a stone path, surrounded by trees. "This is nice." Arthur commented as he curled himself up to Alfred, serene in his embrace.

"Yeah, it is. It makes me forget about everything. The nature is wonderful here, and I like how they planted those flowers in the colours of our coat of arms." Alfred smiled gently as he wrapped his arms around Arthur, wanting for him to feel really peaceful for once.

"It's not your coat of arms, you're not even British." Arthur rolled his eyes, earning a wide grin and a smirk from his American boyfriend.
"Tough luck, but I live here now, don't I?" He laughed wholeheartedly for the first time today, and got a huff from the Brit.

"I suppose that's true. But you always identify as American."

"That's 'cause I am!" Alfred laughed once again, causing Arthur to groan inwardly.
"And that accent of yours, as well. God, you Americans...." The Brit couldn't force a frown on, so they both finally ended up breaking into a fit of laughter. And... It felt good.

Who knows when was the last time Arthur laughed before now. Who knows when was the last time I laughed that it wasn't weak or halfhearted.

"Hey, Alfred, do you want to go pick those flowers? I know it would piss the gardeners off." Arthur smirked a little and pointed to a bush of wonderful white lilies.

"You just want to get us into trouble, don't you?" Alfred laughed.

"Oh fine. But next time, I'm taking the whole bush home."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

A/N

The next chapter is where the "fun" really begins. Guess this was just a bit of fluff and Arthur trying to be a rule-breaker.

Also, pay attention to the title. They will be symbolic later on.

I hope you liked it!

Thanks for reading!