Taking off

Arriving at the airport, Alfred got shivers just by thinking how he was about to leave London to go to Washington D.C.

Any other time that would be completely normal to him, but this time, it was... Different.

So this is it...? I'm actually going to... Leave Arthur by himself for days? Will he make it?
What if he decides to- NO! We have to think positive over here! Where's my spirit?

Spirit.

Remember the spirit, Alfred, you used to have such a happy one.
What am I thinking, my spirit is still positive!

Okay.

Inhale. Exhale.

Again.

Inhale. Exhale. It's going to be alright.

He closed his eyes on a couple of moments as he held his luggage, waiting for to be called on board. It was half past nine when Alfred arrived at the airport with the taxi, and the plane was taking off at 10 PM. So they would probably call the passengers in a couple minutes.
As he waited for to be called in, he searched his pockets for a white lily which he had put in there right before he left.

And Alfred just looked at it. All he saw in that flower now was Arthur, and how wonderful, how beautiful he was.

"I'll miss you so, so much." He whispered with his eyes closed. "I hope you will be alright."

A few people which were passing by carrying their luggage had given him a couple of strange looks, and some had given him soft and caring looks, knowing that he was just thinking of the one he loved.

Some people could just read that on somebody's face.

Alfred's thoughts were suddenly interrupted by a voice, a sharp one which probably startled everyone waiting at the airport.

"All aboard the plane to Washington D.C. in five minutes. Repeating, all aboard the plane to Washington D.C. in five minutes. Thank you."

And the voice shut off. Luckily, the voice repeated itself because Alfred wasn't paying the slightest attention the first time, but he caught the message the second time.

"Okay, let's go. It'll take me five minutes to find the plane anyway." He sighed and whispered under his breath, before finally taking steps towards the outside, carrying his luggage which wasn't heavy at all. Just one bag, anyway.

The bag was symbolic by itself. At least to Alfred. He had gotten it for his birthday from Arthur, and it was a big Union Jack flag spread over it, and underneath stood the words "I love England". Arthur bought him the bag as a joke, but the American grew to love it very much.

Especially in times like this.

Everything reminded him of Arthur, and he could swear that a tear or two escaped his eyes when he finally got on the plane and heard the door was closing slowly, meaning that in five minutes, they would take off for Washington D.C.

He got settled in his seat and carefully inspected the seats around him. He didn't know any of those people, and he dearly hoped that nobody would sit next to him. Usually, he was chatty, but not since the situation with Arthur. He needed sleep, time and space to himself.

But he was in no luck.

Just as he was about to put his headphones on and glaze through the window meaninglessly, a cheerful brown haired girl appeared next to his seat, smiling and placing her luggage right next to Alfred's.

"Hello! Sorry to bother you, but I've gotta sit somewhere!" The girl chuckled and sat next to him, tucking her brown locks of hair behind her ears and taking out her cellphone just to turn it off.

Alfred just nodded with a small smile and moved to the right a little bit so she would have more space.

"Anyway, my name is Emma. I'm from Belgium, but right now I'm travelling to Washington!" She said in an excited tone as she looked towards Alfred, who seemed very uninterested.
But with his polite nature, he turned off his phone as well and turned to the happy girl from Belgium.

"Nice to meet you, I'm Alfred. I'm just on a business travel, so... Yeah, not very exciting." He said in a slightly monotone voice and shook hands with the Belgian, Emma.

"Interesting, actually! I've never been on a business travel. I'm only nineteen." She chuckled, and Alfred raised an eyebrow at the comment about her age.

"I'm nineteen as well. But, uh, I guess you start... Later in Belgium?"

"We do. I was planning on becoming a baker or a cook, actually! So I am opening a cake shop next year in Bruxelles." Emma flashed him a grin and  leaned against her seat.

Their little conversation, though, was interrupted by a voice once again, but this time a voice much closer to them.

"We are taking off. Buckle your seat belts and  do not stand up from your seats until you are allowed. Thank you." This time it was a deep male voice, probably the pilot, and he did not repeat himself.

Emma cheered silently, and Alfred had to let out a small chuckle at her excitement. "Oh, this is going to be so fun! It's my first flight." She said, and received a nod from the American.

"I've flown some times already. I guess I'm used to it already", he casually responded and she smiled to him.

"So, Alfred, have you got a girlfriend of yours somewhere?" She smirked a little and his eyes widened when he realized her intents.

Oh.

Oh.

She's flirting. Dammit, I knew it would be awkward, but I didn't know it would be this awkward.

He got red in the face as she expected an answer, her green eyes shining with cheerfulness as she looked at him.

"Uh, well, I've actually got a boyfriend." He managed to mutter out, and Emma chuckled a little.

"That's also very fun! Hey, no need to get awkward because of it." She nudged him a little and he smiled gratefully to her.

"Thanks, Emma. You know, not everyone is supportive."

"Oh, don't worry. I'm actually bi myself, so it is nothing strange to me." Emma smiled and Alfred felt a bit in a better mood to find out that about her. It was always a nice feeling to know he wasn't alone at any moment.

"I thought you, uh, might be flirting with me as well."

"Sheesh, I have a girlfriend of my own right at this moment. Trust me, most of the time I'm just trying to be as kind as I can be. " She responded gently, and Alfred gave her a nod of approval.

"That's nice. I guess... I guess I try that too, as much as it's in my power."
Alfred knew one thing for sure - he liked talking to Emma and surely didn't feel awkward around her. At least not a lot.

And buried in their small talk, they hadn't even noticed that the plane was taking off right at that second, until somebody cheered "we're flying!" from one of the seats in the back.

Emma's green eyes shone with excitement as she looked over to Alfred. "Hey, we're leaving!"

Alfred chuckled in response and sighed, keeping a smile on, closing his eyes and leaning against his seat.
"Guess so."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

A/N

I hope you liked this chapter, a little bit different I guess? XD
Emma Jansen is the human name I usually use for Belgium, since (I'm not sure though) she doesn't have an official one.

Also, I have no idea how planes and airports do their thing since I have never flown before.

Thanks for reading!