22.

The car engine purrs beneath us as we drive along the road that curves along with the mountains shape. The music plays and the boys drum against the dashboard with some pencils they found, creating the summer feeling that we've all been craving since exams started.

The sun is hot outside, hotter than it's been in a while. The cars air conditioning is on full blast, its the perfect summers day.

"It says that there are boats that you can hire for a full day." Addy says, reading off of a website that she's found.

"We have a budget, Darl." Caden says, looking over his shoulder at the two of us from his place in the passenger seat.
"It's not that expensive." She shrugs.
"Then why not ?" Loki asks, I can see the smile on his face from the rear view mirror.
"Boats, beach and friends." I say and we all practically sigh at just the thought of it.

Ryan, Jenn, Tyla and a friend of hers are driving a few cars behind us. With about still a 3 hour drive ahead of us, I start feeling antsy. I can't sit still for much longer and we haven't stopped in what feels like forever. Although I know it's only been about 4 hours. Loki hands me his phone to show me a message, asking me to send a reply.

Tyla - can we stop ???

"Should we ?" I ask.
"What ?" Addy asks, having missed out on half of what just happened.
"Have a quick stop ?" I say, looking questionably at her.
"Oh, PLEASE!" She gasps.
The boys laugh and I start typing.

Rylin - We'll stop at the next diner or something.
Tyla - THANK YOU.
Rylin - are you guys ready for this ? (Rylin)
Tyla - yes ! Thanks for letting us tag along btw.
Rylin - it's a pleasure, see you now.
•••

The sand is soft and the water is clear, the wind blows lightly and the sun is warm. It's the perfect weather for our first day on the beach, since we've been stuck in a cramped car for over 8 hours.

Tyla and her friend, whose name I learnt is Sage are standing at the waters edge, daring each other to run in first. They're both unmoving until Caden and Loki run up behind them and throw them over their shoulders. The girls shriek in unison as they're hurled into the water very roughly.

The boys are out before they can get any reaction from the now soaked teenagers who don't seem even slightly impressed.

"Thanks." Jenn says, walking up and standing beside me. She's wearing a bikini under a peach beach dress that flows until mid thigh. She looks gorgeous and puts me and my full costume and shorts to shame.

"You're a friend and this was a friend trip. Plus, I'm kind of hoping you and Ryan will be together again by the end of this." I laugh, trying to say what I've needed to tell her since the day we invited her but still make it sound like it's really no big deal.

"You're kidding !" She says, her tone skeptical.
I just glance over my shoulder and smile sheepishly at her, feigning innocence.
"No. No. No." she laughs.
"Oh please, just try ? For me ?" I plead.
"I'll see, but no promises."
"Yay." I say, engulfing her in a tight hug.
•••
That night, as I sit on my bed in the room that I share with Addy and Jenn. I write into a book that I bought myself a couple of weeks before. I decided i needed a diary, where i can say the things im afraid of saying out loud.