Chapter 3: Body guard

"What? You mean she's staying here?"

Yulia almost shouted, earning a glare from Ivan.

"Relax. Your job is just going to school with her and making sure no one tries to kidnap her again. Anya is staying with her in the hospital but we all know that she'd probably be most comfortable with you."

Yulia rolled her eyes.

"Yeah, because who wouldn't want the person who handed them the gun that the killed a man with to be in the room to remind them of all that shit?"

She retorted, earning a sigh.

"Yeah but you were the one she clung to last night in the medical bay. I think that's enough of a sign that she trusts you."

Yulia knew that arguing with him would be pointless as she got up, slinging her backpack over her shoulder.

"Fine but I'm gonna teach her to fight. Just because she's a girl doesn't mean that she should rely on people rescuing her."

Ivan chuckled at that.

"By the way, how was school?"

Yulia scowled at him.

"Boring as hell."

Lena woke up with a start, only to see that instead of the tall, blonde girl with the permanent scowl, Yulia was sitting beside the door, flipping through a book.

"How can you act so normal?"

Yulia almost dropped the book she was reading.

"Oh, you're awake. What do you mean?"

She responded.

"The tall blonde was like a robot, just looking at you you just look like any highschool student! How can you act so normal when you had no hesitation or second thought about killing those men?"

As Lena spoke her grey-green eyes filled with tears, causing Yulia to sigh.

"Because I don't kill unless I have to. I am a spy first and foremost. killing for fun or revenge is different than what I do and what you did Lena."

Yulia answered before adding

"No one's telling you that you have to kill again. I literally have only killed five people....ever and that's counting those three idiots who raped you."

Yulia stated then winced at her own sharp tone.

"I'm sorry for being blunt."

She quickly added, earning a sigh from Lena.

"no, it's okay. I understand."

An uneasy silence fell over them then, Lena staring off into space once again.

"My parents told me that my sister and I are going to live here till this blows over."

She said after a while.

"Yeah, I'm going to be your personal body guard. If you don't mind of course."

Yulia answered.

Once again silence filed the room before Lena spoke again.

"How did you end up here? You're around my age."

Yulia groaned at that, leaning back against the wall.

"Ivan found me on the streets when I was thirteen. he trained me in combat but I didn't get to fight or work. I went to school in the bad part of town and was walking home from basketball practice when two guys jumped me. Now can we talk about something else?"