chapter 31: a game of lies

Lena noticed it the next day at school when Yulia was playing basketball, the long, thin scar across her lower back, barely visible until sunlight caught it just right.

"So you and Yulia are together huh? Word of advice...No matter how aloof she acts, don't get mad at her. She really isn't as tough as she acts and I'm glad she has someone who cares about her. Last relationship she was in the guy cheated on her and had the nerve to stand her up."

Victoria said, glancing toward Yulia who had tripped and fell onto the pavement, though she got up with a cocky smirk as if her legs wasn't bleeding.

"She's still a lot stronger than I would be. Living on the street before Mr. Mysterious took her in."

Lena thought about that for a while before asking

"How long did she live like that?"

Victoria sighed and leaned back onto the grass, closing her eyes as she answered

"Yulia said about three months. It was just turning winter when Anya found her. She practically idolized that girl."

Lena felt her heart break as she heard that.

I can't imagine how much it hurt for Yulia to hear Anya say all those harsh things then have her lure her into a trap like that.

Lena thought.

Yulia knew something was bothering Lena when the bell rang and she didn't seem in a rush to get home. She also noticed that Lena grabbed her hand a bit harder than usual.

Did someone say something to her?

Yulia wondered as they walked toward the elementary school where Katya would be waiting.

"Yulia?"

Lena finally spoke, earning a grunt in response.

"You know what they say to you about being trash and everything isn't true right?"

She finally said, causing Yulia to pause mid step.

"Oh come on, only Peter and his two idiots say that."

She responded, though Lena just sighed.

"Yulia....I know it hurts you. I saw it in your eyes."

Lena argued before adding

"You have a lot of people who love you."

Yulia was quiet for some time, just walking along until Katya nearly tripped her by running to hug her.

"See my point?"

Lena chuckled as Katya came over to her next.

"You and Ivan both sound like broken records. I'm Fine Lena."

Yulia assured though even she knew that she wasn't. She hadn't slept well in weeks and every time she did she had nightmares that woke her up in a cold sweat.

Forcing a smile Yulia grabbed both Lena and Katya's hands.

"Come on, let's go home."

Yulia hated lying to Lena but there was no need to worry her, after all Yulia was use to all of this.