chapter 12: Pet

"You are sure you never shot before? Not a lot of people can take aim that good."

Pari complemented as Lena removed the earplugs.

"Nope, but I have played golf with my father. Pretty sure it's the same concept."

She answered, earning a laugh.

"No idea. My mom sure as hell don't play golf. Anyway, how about you come to West-point with me this weekend? Yulia can come and you'll meet some of the other members around here. Like Amara....this little english lady who tests all my gear out."

"I don't know....Katya doesn't do well with strangers and I'm not sure how she'd react to being alone with Ivan. Anya's going on some mission isn't she?"

Lena responded as they walked through the heavy metal doors.

"I have a younger half brother. I know what you mean about your sister."

As they turned the corner to the lounge room they could hear the sounds of an argument.

"Why do you have to be such a bitch Anya? Who cares where you get to go?"

"I'd rather be a bitch than someone's pet! Just face it! If it wasn't for Ivan you'd still be sleeping in a box somewhere and guess who it was found you that night? Me! And ever since that day I have regretted ever bringing you here!"

The whole room grew quiet then however just as Yulia went to charge the other girl Pari, who had been standing beside Lena rushed over at an nearly inhuman speed, grabbing Yulia and pulling her back.

"Enough! Anya get the fuck out!"

Pari yelled, just as Ivan came running in.

"Thank God you had those shoes on Pari. Yulia, my office. Anya....I suggest you go takea walk and cool down."

Yulia went without a word, though once both girls were gone Ivan sighed and sank down into one of the bean bag chairs.

"Teenagers."

He muttered before adding

"Pari....Take Lena and Katya around the building while I go and try to talk to Yulia. When she's this upset...that's easier said than done."

"so what did Anya mean about Yulia being a pet?"

Lena asked, earning an eye roll.

"Anya is Ivan's cousin or something and is always showing off and doing dangerous shit to impress him. Yulia on the other hand was a natural with throwing knives and then swordsmanship so when Ivan started letting her train with us Anya got jealous. See Ivan is Yulia's foster Dad, though she'd never call him that. To Yulia that kind of love don't exist....That unconditional love is some kind of fairy tale."

Pari answered with a sigh.

"so Pet....is kinda like calling Yulia a bastard."

"Yeah. To be honest I wanted to punch Anya myself. Ivan loves Yulia....he watched her grow up. To tell her that she's nothing but a stray.....There is nothing farther than that from the truth."