chapter 44: Blind

"Ivan, I can't do this anymore! Anya was out to get me and Lena got hurt instead! I can't put her in danger like that again!"

Yulia stated, slamming her hand against the desk though the man just gave her a level look. He could see the bruise on her cheek where she had been hit, could tell she had been crying and was currently struggling to keep tears at bay.

"You say you don't want her hurt but what do you think it will do to her if you leave? Yulia, that girl loves you....More than anything. She would be devastated or don't you care about that?"

He retorted, earning a glare.

"What do you know about caring for anyone! You just take in strays because you need fucking agents! It would be better if you left me to freeze to death!"

Neither had time to process it as Ivan quickly moved forward, roughly taking hold of the teen's shoulders.

"Do you even hear yourself? Yulia You have a lot of people who love you more than you will probably ever realize but you are just too blind to see it. If you don't want to work under me anymore that's fine, I understand but you are not leaving."

He practically shouted, catching Yulia off guard.

"And if I do?"

She quipped, earning a glare

"I'll lock you up in a room somewhere with no windows and push food through a hole in the door."

Yulia knew that wasn't true, he would never go that far but he had grounded her to her room for a long while before and she knew he wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

"Yulia, Anya's actions was her own. No one but her is at fault. Now, right now Lena needs you and Mrs. Katina thinks its best for Katya to stay here for a while. So once you're calmer why don't you take Katya and let Lena rest?"

Yulia managed a nod before sighing and asking

"What will happen to Anya?"

Ivan sighed and closed his eyes.

"I am not pressing charges. She'd probably be put on death row and I...."

He began, though Yulia cut him off

"I don't want that either. I hate her for all this but I can't pretend I don't care about her."

She admitted before adding

"Can you send her to america where her mother is?"

Yulia suggested, earning a sigh

"only if Lena agrees. I don't want my niece to face....that...but if Lena...."

Ivan's voice broke and Yulia closed the distance between them, wrapping her arms around him.

Lena listened to Yulia as she told her everything, keeping quiet until she was done.

"Yulia, I couldn't stand myself if I practically sentenced someone to death. I know I shot the man but....." she paused, only for Yulia to squeeze her hand.

"That was different. That was in self defense."

Yulia guessed, earning a nod.

"That night I Was ready to kill her....But I couldn't. She may have always been jealous of me or whatever but she's the closest thing to a sister I have. I just....I can't."

Yulia admitted nearly in tears as she spoke.

"I'd be the same if it was Katya, Go tell Ivan to let her go."