chapter 30: Each other

Lena laughed aloud as Yulia made a face imitating one of the other students.

"Yulia, stop. You look like an oversized catfish gasping out of water!"

Lena retorted, though this only fueled Yulia's silly behavior.

"When your face freezes like that don't expect any sympathy from me!"

Yulia just glared at that, her exspression turning into a pout.

"Hey, I'm your girlfriend!"

Lena just laughed aloud at the fake hurt in her partner's tone.

"You're crazy if you're anything!"

Lena retorted, trying to sound serious though she failed.

"Oh really? You think I'm crazy? Then you must be too because you were the one who told off the most popular guy in our grade."

Lena just shrugged.

"I don't care if he was the class president. No one talks about you like he did."

Lena replied, earning a sheepish look.

"I can handle it."

Yulia began, earning a sigh.

"I know you can, you just don't have to deal with it alone anymore. You have me now."

Yulia blushed at the statement, Turning from Lena.

"Yeah well...I'm suppose to be the one protecting you."

Lena just rolled her eyes at her girlfriend's comment.

"Then let's agree to protect each other. That way neither of us face trouble alone."

Later that night Lena slept beside Yulia, the smaller girl spooning the taller. It seemed like Yulia had just fallen asleep when she was awoke by a scream, seeing Lena sitting up in bed, shaking and staring down at her hands.

Yulia instantly knew what was wrong when she saw the familiar soulless look in the redhead's green eyes.

Silently she wrapped her arms around Lena from behind, pressing a kiss into her temple as she began to whisper sweetly to her, trying to calm her.

Lena could see the blood, could see his body fall, feel the gun in her hand.

She saw the light leave his eyes.

But then a soft voice called to her, reminding her of why she had fought that night.

"Does the nightmares ever leave?"

She asked, causing Yulia to sigh.

"they lessen....But no. But it's either kill or be killed sometimes. That bastard would have killed me and probably you. You killed in self defense."

Yulia replied, her voice almost too low to hear before she added

"besides he took something from you that you should always have control over. Bastard deserved it."