chapter 43: Blame

"Get the fuck out."

Yulia could hear Lena say, despite being locked in the bathroom and away from the raging Mr. Katina.

"Get the fuck out! None of this was her fault and you know it. She saved your sorry ass and this is how you treat her?"

Yulia didn't know what hurt worse, knowing she had caused this fight or the fact that she had a large bruise forming on the side of her face where he had hit her.

"Lena..."

She heard Lena's father began only to be cut off by Lena a second later

"Get out! I don't want to hear it!"

When Yulia emerged from the bathroom, she found Lena's mother and Lena talking quietly while Katya huddled near Lena, a look of fear on her face.

"I'm sure Ivan will allow it. After all the one who did this is in custody and well....Yulia is here to protect us."

As she said that Lena looked toward Yulia, smiling slightly though her eyes dulled with pent back pain as they landed on the bruise that had been left in her father's wake.

"I am sure of that. I know you said she was an amazing marksman."

Yulia blushed at that, looking down.

"Katya, get off me. Seriously the bed is tiny enough."

Lena grumbled, whispering something to her sister who giggled softly.

Yulia wasn't sure what to say or do in that moment, though she couldn't stop the guilt swelling in her chest as she looked at Lena, the way her arm was rested in a sling and the gauze viewable from the collar of her hospital gown.

this is my fault. Her father is right. If I hadn't been a complete ass she wouldn't have been out there....wouldn't have gotten hurt.