Chapter Twenty One.

I realised that I didn't establish a date for the events of this story 😅, it's the year 1810

Harry POV:

   We are a few hours away from Bordeaux, a French city that's occupying a land that's split with sea water. It's still safer than docking somewhere close to Paris, where everyone can recognize William's face. Not sure they'll recognize Louis', but you can't be too sure in this situation. The crew also needs to fuel up with food and we can also drop Meredith here, we won't be of use to her with Louis and his father going.

Louis hasn't been acting like himself either. After all, he is going to be dropped off at a city he knows nothing of. Samuel has been ignoring me and Zayn has been keeping it strictly professional with me, which is getting on my last nerve. I know I have the last call when it comes to Louis' life, but I'm just... too afraid to love.

What if I allowed my feelings to get a hold on me? I don't know how to treat Louis in the way he deserves? What if I fuck up and hurt him whether it be psychically or mentally? How would I go about in the sea without being in constant anxiety over his safety? I just can't do it. To better phrase it, I just can't allow it. Louis deserves a life so much better than this. He deserves to be in a healthy relationship that is strong in the face of trouble, not a one that is constantly filled with situations that are a matter of life or death, it's just not right.

I know I'm being selfish because this whole bonding thing is not about me only, it has Louis in it, and it just breaks my heart to see him sad all the time. I can't ask him what he chooses to do with his life because I know he'll choose to stay here instead of going with a man that is basically a stranger. I'll just have to do my best in seeing this through.

----------

Louis POV:

I feel nothing. That's probably a lie, but I can't afford feeling anything. I have no idea what to do in this city, I barely know any French words, stupid me decided to postpone studying it till I got back from America. Samuel been keeping me distracted ever since he saw me come out of Harry's room and he's never allowed me to sit by myself for longer than five minutes.

It kind of help since I'm basically sleeping with him in the same room. He always tries to comfort me whenever I have a nightmare or get overwhelmed with fear and emotions, it's crazy how quickly he changed from being all mean and cold to nice and cuddly most of the time. I could feel Harry's stare at us whenever we decided to sit and watch the ocean while he's on deck too. Samuel tried to talk some sense into Harry but I always made sure to stop him from making it worse. He tries to argue with me that it can't be any shittier than this, but I keep reminding him that at least he's letting me live who knows how he'll react if I kept sending people to pester him over something as insignificant as me. He would always give me a sad smile and an empathetic nod.