How To Meditate

There are many different types of meditation. I will list a few here, but it is important that you research and find a few that you are comfortable with.

The Basics:

●Minimize distraction
Find a quiet place to meditate. Put your phone on silent. Tell the people you live with that you are going to meditate, so they know not to disturb you.

●Get comfortable
Find a comfortable position. This can be sitting or laying down. Typically if I want to be alert and awake, I will sit up with my back straight and eyes open. If I want to relax, I will lay down with my eyes closed. Be careful not to fall asleep. I wouldn't recommend laying down if you're tired.

●Set a timer
I use my phone as a timer. The alarm still sounds even when the device is on silent. I recently learned that it is good to find an alarm that doesn't startle you. I picked a peaceful melody and turned the volume down. Now I don't jump out of my skin at the end of every meditation.

●Center yourself
Get your mind and body ready for meditation. Take a few deep breaths. If your eyes are open, focus on something across the room. Let your body relax. If there is tension, focus on releasing it.

●Release control
Be present in the moment. Your thoughts will wander. Don't try to quiet them. If a particular thought makes you anxious, sit with it for a moment. Question it in your head. Why does it make you feel anxious? Is there anything you can do about it right now? Sometimes taking a moment to think can help you find solutions or make you realize some things are out of your control. Then you can move on by refocusing on your breath.

Types of Meditation
•Mindfulness- focus on your breath, body and environment around you.

•Guided- an instructor guides you through meditation. You can find many guided meditations on YouTube and Google.

•Movement- can also be referred to as walking meditation. You focus on each step you take.

•Yoga- another form of movement meditation. Research spiritual yoga poses that can take your meditation practice to the next level.