"youll be fine, i love you"

THAT MORNING (Y/N) woke up, the sky was grey

THAT MORNING (Y/N) woke up, the sky was grey. Many clouds littered the sky, making the streets beneath her dark. People below walked around with big, puffy coats wrapped around their bodies, protecting themselves from the cold. A sigh left (Y/N)'s lips. A low sound of thunder emerged from the sky. Small droplets of rain fell onto her outstretched hand.

(Y/N) left the window after closing the curtains and walked over to her closet. Her knee-length black dress was hung on the door, her transparent tights stuffed in her black heels. The rain fell harder against the window as she took off her dressing gown and pyjama top. She grabbed her black strapless bra from her draw and wrapped it round her body. She grabbed her underwear and finished getting dressed, leaving her heels off and by the door.

Her phone buzzed from the side of her bed. She ran over, knowing it would be Peter, and instantly picked up.

"Hey, Pete. What's up?"

"I'm not Peter, (Y/N)" Ned's voice replied back.

"Oh, sorry, Ned. I was expecting Peter to call"

"I could tell" he chuckled.

"Anyway, what's up?"

"Well, Peter told me, and only me, that it was your gran's funeral today and I just wanted to say I hope everything goes well. I know Peter will be there for you, but look after him too, he's upset about seeing you sad later" he explained.

"Okay, thanks Ned. Peter's lucky to have you as a best friend"

"And he's lucky to have you"

"Thanks. Have a good day" she smiled, even though she knew he couldn't see her.

"You too, as much as you can"

"Bye, Ned"

"Bye, (Y/N)." A sigh left her mouth after she hung up. Her hopes were high that it was Peter, but she was grateful for Ned's concern. Suddenly, a loud bang ran throughout the apartment, scaring (Y/N) slightly. She ran to her door, opened it, ran down the hallway, down the stairs and through to her front door. She grabbed the door knob and swung the door open.

Peter was stood on the other side, one hand was in his left pocket while the other held a bouquet of red roses. His body was turned away from the door, his back the first thing (Y/N) saw when she opened it. When he heard the door open, he turned around to face (Y/N). A smile appeared on her face; seeing Peter in a suit and tie made her heart flutter. A smile appeared on his face too; seeing (Y/N) in a beautiful dress made his heart flutter.

"I bought these f-for you" he handed her the roses.

"Thank you, Pete. Come on in"

"Thanks," he stepped inside before (Y/N) shut the door. "You got everything sorted for today?" He sat down.

"Just about. You okay?" She asked, moving behind him to rest her hands on Peter's shoulder and settling her chin on his head.

"Yeh," he raised a hand to his shoulder. "I just hope you are"

"I will be. Ned called me this morning"

"What did he say?"

"He said he hopes everything would go well today"

"Anything else?" He stood up and turned around to face her.

"No, not really. I was just really happy he called" she wrapped his arms around his neck and his arms slipped round her waist.

"He called me this morning as well"

"Yeh? What'd he say?" She smiled.

"He told me to look after you"

"Anything else?"

"No, not really," he smiled while she giggled. "Now, that's what I like to see"

"I'll be fine, Pete. I promise"

"I know you will, I trust you." Before Peter could plant a kiss on (Y/N)'s lips, a soft knock filled their ears. (Y/N) let go of Peter and opened the door; May was behind it.

"It's time" she said plainly. May left the doorway and walked down the stairs to the entrance of their building, umbrella in hand. (Y/N) turned round to Peter and gave him a small smile. He nodded his head, walked up to her, kissed her forehead and followed May out. (Y/N) got her phone and her shoes from her room, grabbed her keys and locked the door.

When she arrived in the lobby of her building, May and Peter were stood waiting for her, an umbrella in one of their hands. They both gave a warming smile to (Y/N) as they walked out the front door. Peter opened up his umbrella for the two of them and started walking towards the parking lot, May straight behind them. Peter helped her in May's car first, keeping her dry and shutting the door, then went to his own side.

***

"And now, let's hear some words from the person who knew Elizabeth the best: her granddaughter, (Y/N) (Y/L/N)" the priest called her up to the alter.

Peter gave her hand a gentle squeeze and kissed her cheek, whispering into her ear, "You'll be fine, I love you"

"I love you" she replied before getting up and standing where the priest once stood. She took a deep breath and coughed lightly before starting.

"Firstly, I'd like to thank all of you for coming today. I'm sure if my grandmother was here, she'd appreciate each and every single one of you. Today wouldn't be possible without Pete, so thank you for helping me"

'You're welcome' he mouthed while she gave him a small, sad smile.

"Anyway, my grandmother was a special women; she was the only person I knew who could knit an entire blanket in one night. She would start at 5 o'clock, stick on the TV, tell me not to bother her and she'd go up until 9:30 where I'd have to pry the needles out of her hands.

"When I was left with her when I was six, I never knew how much she would mean to me in nine years. I grew closer and closer to her everyday. I couldn't lie to her, she knew what I did before I did it. She found out everything even if I didn't give off any hints.

"I couldn't not love her; she was my rock through everything. She helped me with homework, friendships, school. And I helped her as much as I could, but I never really told her how much I love her and appreciate her before she died.

"I thought she would come back that day, I thought our local hero would've been able to help everyone, but he, or she, can't do everything. I knew her time had to come, I just wish it wasn't so soon, or how it happened." By now, almost all her guests were in tears. Peter was comforting May while he wiped away his own tears, listening to his girlfriend talk about her favourite person - aside from him.

"She was the person I looked up to the most. I wanted to - and still do - be like her. She was smart, funny, kind and caring. I wanted to give her the world, but the most I could give her was the change from my lunch money in junior high.

"I hope you all remember how she was, the amazing woman we all know and love. Thank you all for being here today; I appreciate each and every one of you. Please remember why we're here, and enjoy the day as best you can. And at least we can say, she'll be gone, but never forgotten"