Godzilla (1954) Discussion

Hey guys welcome in. In this page I wanted to take the time to discuss the original Godzilla 1954 or in Japanese as (Gojira) directed by Ishiro Honda and how magnificent it is. I won't say everything in this section because I wanted to continue to talk about it in the comments. So let's begin.

The original Godzilla was released in 1954 and it's one of my all time favorite movies. As you know Godzilla was conceived as a metaphor for Nuclear war and the imagery in this film evokes what took place years ago at Hiroshima and Nagasaki (it's pretty moving and very powerful). The film is shot in black and white and has some great cinematography. Godzilla's design in this movie is well iconic. If you were to travel anywhere in the world you'd be able to recognize that silhouette with the dorsal plates.

Oh and he breathes radioactive fire

Oh and he breathes radioactive fire. (You know his atomic breath).  Which is also amazing.

As I'm sure all of you who are reading this know Godzilla is played by a guy in a rubber suit and miniatures were used in order to emphasize the scale of the kaju. The effects were done by Eiji Tsuburaya (who would later go on to work on other Toho films). Oh and in this movie Godzilla is played by Haruo Nakajima who would go on to play the character several more times and he's terrific in it.

The music in this movie is also fantastic. Akira Ifukube's score is iconic. I often find myself humming the different beats of it to myself when I might just be sitting there doing whatever.

As far as the characters in this movie are concerned my favorite character is Dr. Serizawa (who went on to create the Oxygen destroyer that killed Godzilla... but I'm
Sure you all knew that reading this). He has to go through some pretty tough choices in the movie. One of my favorite scenes is when he has to make that choice as to whether or not he's going to actually use this deadly weapon.

Anyways, I should probably stop yapping so much and just tell you to go watch the movie. There are some slow parts that may test some peoples patience but I promise you it's worth it. It has great destruction scenes and a powerful ending.

In 1956 the American re-edit of was released and starred Raymond Burr as Steve Martin (not the actor who became really famous). I still like that version even though it's obviously made as an attempt to kind of dumb down the movie for western audiences by having Burr narrate over everything. A lot of terrific scenes are still intact and it's honestly kind of cool to see the same movie from a different point of view. Not to mention I'm a fan of Raymond Burr and always enjoy seeing him in movies. (Check out his role as Perry Mason or in Alfred Hitchcock's Rear Window).

Anyways, I feel like I've kind of rambled on enough. I'll talk some more about the movie in the comment section. Let me know what you all think of the movie in the comments and we will talk about it some more there.

A/N: I'll continue to update this page soon. It might not be daily but I'll eventually get to posting about all the Godzilla movies.