Godzilla (1998) Discussion

Oh boy the time has come. We're finally up to this point in this series where I must now discuss the first American Godzilla movie directed by Roland Emmerich. I have a lot to say about this movie so sit back and enjoy.

A film so hated by fans that Toho went ahead and retconned this movie to make it apart of the original Toho Godzilla series

A film so hated by fans that Toho went ahead and retconned this movie to make it apart of the original Toho Godzilla series. The monster in this movie went from being Godzilla to just Zilla. Leaving most fans to refer to this movie as G.I.N.O. or Godzilla In Name Only. The biggest problem with this movie is that it's called Godzilla. If you were to call it something else then it wouldn't have this bad of a wrap. I mean it still wouldn't be very good. But, at least it wouldn't be as hated for its failed attempt at being a Godzilla movie.

My First Disappointment
In order to talk about why this movie was such a disappointment I have to first take you back to when this movie first was released. The marketing for this movie was everywhere and it was fantastic. They never showed the monster in any of the trailers. You had to see the movie in order to see what Godzilla looked like. (Although some of the toys revealed his design, but this was back when the internet was in its infancy stage so most people weren't spoiled). So instead of showing us what Godzilla looked like the marketing team had to describe Godzilla for us. There were signs saying his foot is as big as this bus or his tail is as big as (insert whatever here) and so on and so forth. Plus there were a ton of tie ins with various toy companies. There was this bizarre music video collaboration with Puff Daddy and Jimmy Page.

You also can't forget the amazing Taco Bell tie ins with that talking chihuahua. (I really wish Taco Bell would bring him back).

Combine that with some great trailers, the director of Independence Day, and they hype for this movie was off the wall with excitement.

Then finally the movie was finally released and it was awful. Mainstream audiences didn't like it and Godzilla fans hated it. This isn't the movie they thought it was going to be. I remember when I first saw it and wondered why it was called Godzilla when it didn't even resemble the character.