Godzilla vs Megaguirus Discussion

Hello everyone and welcome back to another chapter in my Godzilla Discussion page. In this chapter we will be taking a look at Godzilla vs Megaguirus! (I do have to admit that I always feel like I'm spelling that title wrong). Oh and in Japan this movie has the even longer title of Godzilla X Megaguirus: The G Extermination Strategy. (Just stick with the shorter title).

After the release of Godzilla 2000 Toho began producing new Godzilla movies every year until 2004 When Godzilla Final Wars was released and it was a pretty good time to be a Godzilla fan. So with this one I think I like it more than Godzilla 2000. There's a bit more creativity involved with its plot and I had a bit more fun with it than i did with Godzilla 2000.

Plot: So with this one we end up getting another direct sequel to the original 1954 film that ignores all other entries in the series. Since the military has failed on countless occasions to stop Godzilla they decide that the only way to get rid of Godzilla is to use something called the Dimension Tide. A device that creates miniature Black Holes. So instead of killing Godzilla they just want to try and move him someplace else. However, when they test the device it opens up a wormhole that brings forth a prehistoric dragonfly egg that eventually hatches into a Meganulon. A creature that originally made its first appearance in the movie Rodan.

So when the creature hatches it goes into water and eventually evolves into a Meganula

There's also a really disturbing and graphic scene straight out of a horror movie where one of these creatures eats and kills a few people

There's also a really disturbing and graphic scene straight out of a horror movie where one of these creatures eats and kills a few people. It definitely felt out of place for a Godzilla movie. But, I dug it because I'm a huge horror fan. So anyways, at one point Godzilla gets attacked by these little bastards but he easily takes them out. Eventually they all go ahead and form/create the queen Meganula known as Megaguirus.

Now, Megaguirus is a cool looking Kaiju but as the main villain in a movie she's kind of a weak villain

Now, Megaguirus is a cool looking Kaiju but as the main villain in a movie she's kind of a weak villain. I mean do you honestly expect this thing to put up a fight against Godzilla? The only advantage Megaguirus has an advantage of over Godzilla is in flight and speed. She also can fire an energy blast of sorts but it's not enough to stop Godzilla. As far as the fight goes it's still entertaining. There's one brutal scene where Megaguirus stabs Godzilla right in the crotch area which is pretty brutal. But, the best moment of all comes when Godzilla does this ridiculous body slam.

Hahah that's amazing. Anyways, Godzilla is eventually able to kill Megaguirus and the ending of the movie has him getting sucked away by the black hole device (the dimension tide) although there is a post credit scene that shows that Godzilla is still alive.

And that's basically Godzilla vs. Megaguirus. It's a little better than Godzilla 2000 But, it's still not one of my favorites. The movie still does drag in certain areas, i still don't like the Godzilla suit, and there is some bad cgi in the movie. Also, Megaguirus is kind of an underwhelming main villain. At this point in the series Godzilla has fought villains like King Ghidorah, SpaceGodzilla, Destoroyah, and in the last movie he fought orga. So in comparison to those villains Megaguirus feels like a step backwards. Still, I will give this movie credit in certain areas. The idea of using a black hole device to get rid of Godzilla is kind of clever. Plus the main theme for this movie is very good. Definitely one of my favorites. It's so good that they would reuse it for Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla.

Anyways, I'm not sure what else to add to this discussion. We never do get a follow up to that post credit scene in this movie so there's no telling what happens after that as the next movie was yet another reboot. So I think I'll just end this chapter here as I don't have much else to say about this one. If you want to talk about this movie some more please leave a comment below and be sure to come back next time as I get to discuss one of the best Godzilla movies in the series. As always thank you for reading this and I will see you soon.